Jira Software project with parallel sprints turned on -- Limit to how many active sprints?

Gail August 12, 2022

We have a need for a project that can "group" a set of issues like a sprint.   The catch is we always have to have those groups and their issues visible.   

My thought is we make the "groups" scrum sprints - start the sprints but never close them.   

• This is because we need to sort (move up / down) sprints and active sprints appear at the top then un-started sprints then backlog.
  • We also need all the issues to show in their sprints.   If you don't start a sprint and have a Done status issue -- it won't be visible.

We have parallel sprints enabled, but is there a limit to the number of active sprints one project can have?   We will never use any view but "backlog" so boards don't matter.

We tried to use a JWM project, but it has so many functionalities that don't work that we decided against using JWM for anything but basic project management.

If anyone can think of a better way - I'm open.   

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

Hello @Gail 

Can you expand more on the specific problem you are trying to solve? You said you need to be able to group a set of issue "like a sprint". What about a sprint is helping you solve the grouping problem?

You said you need to be able to "sort" the sprints (by which I assume you be sort the groups of issues). Note that on the Backlog screen you can only re-order sprints that have not been started.

Do you actually need to be able to sort the groups, or do you need to be able to sort/rank the issues within a group?

It would be really helpful if you can describe your desired functionality and the problem you are trying to solve without applying the context of "sprint" to it. If we understand the problem we'll be better able to offer advise.

Gail August 15, 2022

Hi Trudy.   This is a unique use-case that we have never had before.   

We are migrating our business side of the company to Jira from our previous product called Monday.   Monday is really a project management app.   

This particular team requires the same "structure" as they have in Monday which is the ability to have groups of issues i.e. Active work, Blocked work, Archived July 2022, Archived August 2022, etc.    

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.16.57 AM.png

They also:

• They need to be able to add new groups as needed.   (each month will get an archive group)
  • They need to be able to move a "grouping" up/down in the view (they may have a new group added that needs to be say second from the top)
  • Have visibility into every issue in a group even if archived (so can't actually start sprints as any closed status issue would disappear)
  • DO NOT work in sprints
  • DO NOT need a board - only a list type view (counts out Kanban)

I thought (hoped) Jira Work Mgmt project would be the solution, but it has a lot of functions that don't work or have enhancement requests in process.   The only thing I found that would give us the grouping they want is Jira Software Scrum project template, and I would have to use sprints in place of the groups.   

Hope this helps clarify the use case.   Unfortunately I know i'll have more in the near future as more teams migrate off of Monday.

Gail August 15, 2022

Actually ignore this -- I figured it out.   I have never used kanban projects, but I see you can enable epics/backlog here without worrying about sprints.      Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events