• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira Software Cloud Infrastructure

We are planning to migrate our Jira installation from server to cloud but our client would like to have a network diagram that shows the communication between our site and the  Atlassian Cloud and database.

Is such an overview available anywhere?

(Authentication will more than likely be done via AD Sync.)

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Not really, as it's incredibly simple.  In your case the diagram is as simple as

AD <-> Atlassian Access

Clients <-> Atlassian Cloud Services

Beyond those, you don't care.  The database, connection between Access and the services and outgoing emails etc, you have no access to, as you have no need for it.

Thank you.  That's really my thought as well.

Outside of perhaps the integration of AD <-> Atlassian Access for authentication, I'm not sure what else there is to care about.  I suspect, but don't know for sure, that knowledge of underlying infrastructure wasn't a factor for them in the migrations to other SaaS applications such as Office 365.

Since you're showing those as two separate "diagrams", would it be correct to say that somewhere in the login process that Atlassian Cloud Services and Atlassian Access communicate to authenticate a client during login?

Yeah, when you're buying a service instead of a system, it does mean you can abstract away the behind-the-scenes stuff a bit.  Not because it doesn't matter, but because you can't see it or do anything with it as the end-user.  It all goes a bit "black box"

You're absolutely right about Access and Cloud systems - that's one of the connections inside the black box.  AD provides users to Access (outside the box, so you do care about that connection), then Access acts as the account manager for all the Atlassian Cloud systems inside the box.

The bit I am not 100% sure on is the actual authentication step.  If you connect a Server/DC Atlassian thing to AD for users, then I know that while it caches a lot of the AD info, whenever a user goes through a password check, the system is directly checking with AD - it does not cache user credentials, it always asks AD.  I do not know if Atlassian Access does the same, it could be caching something.  I suspect it does no caching and asks AD, but I cannot be sure.

Like Gary Athaide likes this

Thanks again.  I'll put together a basic diagram for the customer, perhaps wrapping the Access and Cloud Services in a "black box."  If more detail ends up being required, perhaps we'll need to set up some kind of walk through / overview with Atlassian.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,104 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you