Jira Server app requires 8.3?

Eamonn Sorohan July 26, 2019

I upgraded from Jira 8.2.3 to Jira 8.3 to take advantage of the new mobile app.

Jira now fails to start, giving the following error...

System plugins failed to start: We haven't been able to start all the required system plugins

We couldn't start the following plugins:

• Jira Projects Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Global Issue Navigator (com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-nav-plugin)
  • Atlassian Pretty URLs Plugin (com.atlassian.prettyurls.atlassian-pretty-urls-plugin)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)
  • Gadget Spec Publisher Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Static Assets (CDN) Plugin (com.atlassian.plugins.static-assets-url)

I've tried all the suggested remedies and still get the same problem. Anyone else experience this.

FYI, As per the upgrade instructions I performed the upgrade checks and everything was good, and I took a copy of the database before the upgrade. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eamonn Sorohan July 27, 2019

I noticed an error when using the shutdown script - "wrong Java version". Upgraded Java and now everything works. Not sure why this was an issue - I thought Jira had its own built in JRE. Anyway this seems to have been the issue and now everything is working.  Thanks Pavel for your help.

0 votes
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2019
Hi Eamonn,
The problem will be maybe in settings Jira Install folder (or Jira Home folder). You need set all Jira folder to user jira:jira. I think it is now set root:root. After change folder permission, please restart Jira.
Pavel
Eamonn Sorohan July 27, 2019

Thanks I tried that and it made no difference. I even rebooted the server to see if the new file permissions would be an issue - still the same. Thank you for trying to help.

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2019

Hi,

OK, your welcome :)

Pavel

Suggest an answer