Jira Roadmap does not show my stories/tasks:

Prashant Patil August 5, 2019

Jira Roadmap does not show my stories/tasks:

If it will show only Epics, It does not changes any state on Roadmap when due date of any of the stories inside the Epic is extended or preponed. So if it does not changes its stage on the basis of due date, what's exactly use of roadmap.

We generally create stories as they reflect on boards & backlog so that they can be included in sprints. It would have been great if stories would have reflected on Roadmap as Epic cant be used for boards & backlogs.

Hope I was able to make it clear.

5 answers

2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2019

Hello Prashant,

Just like @Angélica Luz said, you are correct to say that it's not possible yet to display stories in the Roadmap feature of Next-gen or reflect child due dates, although we understand this would be a very useful feature.

To give you more context on why this functionality was not implemented since the begging, Next-gen roadmap was initially implemented only for Epics to planning large pieces of work several months in advance, giving you a high-level view of your team progress instead of focusing on small pieces of information.

In fact, Next-gen is a relatively new project template implement in JIRA, so our developers are still working to implement and get feedback about its functionalities. Additionally, to implement the view of stories in the roadmap, we have the following feature request created:

Option to Drill Down in Next-Gen Roadmap

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Micheal Planck January 27, 2021

So if epics are the high-level picture, you need all your stories to be in an epic so all your work is in your high level picture.

But when you create a story, you can't add it to an epic as part of the creation.

Doesn't this strike you as contrary? You want us to add stories to epics to keep track of things, but you make us jump through hoops to do that.

Unless epics are just supposed to be a high-level picture utterly divorced from any stories? Like a couple of bars that you can drag around by hand because they don't move themselves automatically or in any way reflect their contents?

I honestly don't understand the intent here.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2019

Hi Prashant,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
The roadmap is indeed only for Epic and not other issue types.
You can find more details on the documentation below:
- Roadmap
Related to the due date of the child issues, it will not change the due date of the epic. We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- In the new Next-gen project type, Epic should "adjust" to child start and due dates
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates.

Regards,
Angélica

1 vote
Rajesh Dawar October 10, 2022

Tasks and stories now show up under Epics in a roadmap.

Nicole Van Der Tuin February 9, 2023

But not consistently. It's clear that tasks already completed don't necessarily show up, but only some of the child tasks that haven't been started show up on the roadmap. Why?

0 votes
Tiago Cardoso October 13, 2023

For anyone arriving here after Q3 / 2023:

Now you can view both Epics + Stories (or tasks, or bugs) in your Roadmap.

You might want to know that have to activate them in your board config.

More details at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/What-s-new-in-the-Roadmap-view-I-m-so-glad-you-asked/ba-p/2077594#M740

0 votes
Jenn Sherman June 7, 2023

In one project, the roadmap is showing the stories for each epic.  For another project, only the epics show.  The configurations of the two roadmaps look the same.  Any ideas how to get the stories to show?

Jenn Sherman June 7, 2023

hmm, in the same project, on a scrum board, the roadmap shows the stories.  On the Kanban board, the roadmap does not show the stories

Tiago Cardoso October 13, 2023

Hi @Jenn Sherman - you might need to activate it in your Kanban board. I just realized it reading your answer. I added a new answer to this question with a link to the article talking about it.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer