Jira Rest API - User Impersonation and JWT Authentication

Patrice Champet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Hello there,

We are looking for information, best practices and/or recommandations regarding authentication using Rest Api while trying to add some impersonation.

We have an architecture with external applications creating Jira issues through a microservice developped internally that is accessible behind a WSO2 API Management gate.

model.png

We are using JWT token to identify the user from the external Application to the microservice.

For the time being, our microservice is using Jira RestApi with a specific technical account, always the same.

We aim at making every Rest Api call to Jira with the "real user" from the application (impersonation).

Any feedback, rex or documentation you may have will be welcome !

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Stefano Galati February 3, 2021

Hi Patrice,

one solution would be to create a plugin that make the impersonation. I share with you this link of a blog that addresses the same issue.

In the text you will also read about the existence of plugins in the marketplace so you might as well take a look to see if a ready-made solution exists for you.

I have seen that a couple of plugins exist in the marketplace but I am not sure if they can be useful for the solution of your problem.

Suggest an answer