Jira Plan (Advanced Roadmap) parent child relationship

Dillon Weyer March 28, 2023

Hi All,

New to Jira Plan (Advanced Roadmap) and have realised that you have to use the parent link field to link items so that they display in the plan. Realised today that you are restricted by the hierarchy, For reference, our hierarchy is:
OKR
Initiative
Epic
Story
The restriction is that I am only able to link using the parent link to the issue type directly above the current issue type e.g. Epic can only add an initiative to the parent link. I am not able to add an OKR as a parent of an Epic. I know I could change the hierarchy and remove initiative, but the point is, sometimes an epic or even in extreme cases, a story could be all that's needed to deliver an OKR.

Is there something I am missing or a change I can make? Could I use the linked issues type rather e.g. delivers??

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Dillon Weyer,

No, you are not missing anything. Your observation is correct: the hierarchy is strict and you cannot skip any levels there.

Hope this clarifies! 

Dillon Weyer March 29, 2023

it does and feel disappointed that once again, Jira limiting how we work due to technical constraints.

Thanks for your response

In Structure the addon, you can use links to build your hierarchy and is therefore flexible, Will plans only work with the parent-child relationship?

Like JM likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events