Jira Insight and vmware scanning?

Matt Mauchley December 17, 2021

We setup our discovery scanner to scan vcenter and then checked the box scan virtual guests.  The scan looks like it is collecting vm guest information but only loads the vmware host information when it is done and no guest information.  If we scan subnets we can get the information to import.  Is there a way to setup our scan without using subnets and only scanning vcenter?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gustavo Delazari Borges
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2021

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry, but do you expect the VMs are imported under "Host" object as "Virtual Guest" or the VMs should be imported as part of "Host" object?

In our company, we scan through a range that include all the vmware hosts only, and consequently, Discovery collects your VMs. When we import the results into Insight, vmware hosts are included in "Host" object and the VMs are included in "Virtual Guest" object.

Matt Mauchley December 21, 2021

Yes that is exactly what we are wanting to do.  I will give that a shot.  Thank you! 

Like Gustavo Delazari Borges likes this
Matt Mauchley December 21, 2021

Are you scanning using the root ssh login to the esxi host or vsphere creds to the local host?

Gustavo Delazari Borges
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

Vsphere credentials. A workmate has created an proper user for me with limited permissions, and it seems to be working fine with Discovery.

Like Matt Mauchley likes this
Heath Wallis February 25, 2022

what settings are you using to get guests to appear under virtual guests?  I'm scanning just the vsphere IP, but both the ESXi hosts and the guests are coming in as host objects.  That is undesireable.

Gustavo Delazari Borges
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2022

Hi @Heath Wallis 

Maybe you should check your Insight import configuration on Jira.

The "Virtual Guest" object might be disabled, then you should enable it and try your import again.

0 votes
OMAR MOHAMED AHMED MOHAMED FATHY March 28, 2024

@Matt Mauchley @Gustavo Delazari Borges @Heath Wallis

ddo you have idea how to scan without ping, because i want to scan a v center and ping fails, can you help please and provide the current pattern and settings 

Suggest an answer