Jira Filter to List Assignees' Issues Across Selected Projects

John Tucci April 24, 2023

Hello, Again, Trusted Community Members:

I am trying to create a Jira Filter that will list each given Assignee's open issues across selected projects. Here is my latest attempt:

project = WinProgramming AND assignee = "Cameron Goodwin" OR assignee = "Darrell Johnson" OR assignee = "Frank Wu" OR assignee ="JCruz" OR assignee = "minaz hirji" OR assignee = "Rodney Tang" OR assignee = "Roxana Duran" OR assignee = "Tyler Wade" OR assignee = "Vlad Gonchar" AND status != "Development Complete" OR status != Closed ORDER BY assignee ASC, priority DESC, rank DESC

I'm having some problems with this filter:

• I tried using a group for the selected Assignees, but got every user, including JSM users, instead of just the selected project(s)
    • I also tried using a group for the projects but I still got every project
  • The output list also contains Unassigned issues
    • I tried adding status != "Unassigned" to filter those out, but got error message that "!= does not apply to status" (or something to that effect)

How do I change the filter to get my desired output?

Thanks, as always, to this amazing Community.

-John Tucci
  Megabyte Systems, Inc.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

@John Tucci 

These are the details of your query:

project = WinProgramming AND assignee = "Cameron Goodwin"

It's only bringing issues from WinProgramming where the Assignee is Cameron, all the rest of OR assignee = XXXX are doing a global Jira search out of the first project.

If you want to catch issues with these Assignee users from specific projects, your filter should look something like this:

project IN (Project 1, Project 2, Project 3) AND Assignee IN (User 1, User 2, User 3)

Then all issues from all those projects will be listed with which any of those users is an Assignee.

If you want to do a search for Assignee on specific projects, try the following:

project = project 1 AND Assignee = User1 OR project = project 2 AND Assignee = User2 OR project = Project 3 AND Assignee = User3

It seems your confusion is using the Operators for JQL, for this, check the page for see a litle more: Advanced search reference - JQL operators

Be careful using the OR operator in your query, if you don't delimit it, the search it will do will be global in jira

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Fernando - Nimble Evolution

John Tucci April 24, 2023

@Fernando Eugênio da Silva :

Hello, Fernando. My sincere "Thanks" for you helpful response and examples. I have edited my filter using your info, and I now get the output I intended!! 

I will indicate this as an Accepted Answer. Once again, this incredibly intelligent and generous Community continues to amaze me. I still strive to be able to join this august group.

Kind Regards,

-John Tucci

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders