Jira Cloud bot messages are rewriting the content and breaking URL links

Mark Theunissen May 15, 2022

The bot that sends messages (Jira Cloud) is rewriting the content of URL links, breaking them in the process. Our Gitlab URLs which contain a dash are rewritten replacing the dash with tilde (so `/-/` becomes `/~/`)

To reproduce:

- Find a Jira issue that you're following

- Have someone comment on it, and include in the body of the comment a link to a Gitlab merge request, for example: `https://gitlab.com/software/ourproject/-/merge_requests/555`

- Jira sends a message to your user on Slack notifying you of the new comment

- The URL in the comment has been rewritten and is thus a broken link, it is changed to `https://gitlab.com/software/ourproject/~/merge_requests/555` where the `-` is changed to a `~`. 

- The link is unchanged when looking at it on the Jira issue's page

The message URL should not be altered so that URLs still work.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2022

Hi Mark,

I believe this behavior is related to a know bug. We are tracking this over in JRACLOUD-76111.  Sorry I don't have a work-around for this yet, but I'm reaching out to my team to see if perhaps there is some kind of work-around that might help here.

In the meantime, I invite you to watch that issue for updates to this topic.

Andy

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2022

Hi @Mark Theunissen 

I got an update from our development team about this issue.  They reported that they shipped a fix for this problem very recently.  Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for reporting the problem behavior to us.

Andy

Mark Theunissen June 1, 2022

hi @Andy Heinzer thanks for getting back to me. We just tested and it's still an issue. Do we need to update anything on our side to get the fix?

Thanks

Mark

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
June 2, 2022

Hi Mark,

Try restarting the slack client first.  If you're still seeing this happening to new messages, then could you share with us the exact text that is being added to the comment? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events