Jira Cloud REST API (Python) - How to set value for a cascaded select field

Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2023

Following some posts I've seen, I am using the Python REST API to create a new issue and passing this as part of the dict of the fields:

'customfield_11585': {       # 'my_field' - a cascaded selection field
'value': 'fu', # parent value: 'fu' (id=26637)
'child': {
'id': '26792' # child value: 'bar' (id=26792)
}
},

This results in error 400: "Specify a valid child option 'id' for my_field".

Next I tried to use 'name' instead of 'id' and I get a different 400 error:

"Specify a valid child option 'id' or 'name' for my_field".

Next I tried to use 'value', and I get this error:

"Specify a valid child option 'name' for my_field".

I also tried to use the option name ('bar') instead of the id, but to no avail.

The only thing that does succeed is when I pass an empty child, like this:

'customfield_11585': { 
'value': 'fu',
'child': None
},

So I know that the REST API call to set the field with the parent works, but I can't set the child option.

The documentation does not provide an example of setting a cascaded field:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-3-issue-post

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2023

Hi @Amir Katz (Outseer),

I think your JSON is not working properly, I made a test with automation and the Advanced editing option, which uses a Json, and I managed to update the value of the cascading field.

Here is the JSON I  used: the options values and worked:

{
"fields": {
"Cascading field" : { "value": "Parent 1", "child": { "value" : "Child 1 - 2"} }
}
}

I also used ID of the child option and worked:

{
"fields": {
"Cascading field" : { "value": "Parent 1", "child": { "id" : "10160"} }
}
}

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

In the last image, note that I got the value from the child issue from the URL: https://xyz.atlassian.net/secure/admin/EditCustomFieldOptions!edit.jspa?fieldConfigId=10215&atl_token=0252bc82-60e3-437a-b636-f571e158a51c_f294694fe493a2305a69c4a347a3e4019a69def7_lin&selectedParentOptionId=10157&selectedValue=10160

If I test with a wrong ID, like 101600, it would give the error you are getting:

image.png

Can you check the IDs you are using and also the JSON you are using with the one that worked for me?

I hope this helps you clarify your inquiry.

Regards,
David

David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2023

Oh... I forgot to say, I know your request has to do with Python, but in this case, I think the problem is regarding the JSON.  Please try to double check the JSON and the options (parent and child) ids and hopefully the problem is solved.

Regards,
David

0 votes
Easy for Jira January 22, 2024

Hi guys,

If you like to use python with Jira, I would like to invite you to use Easy for Jira. The app was launched on December 2023.

It's a Python extension for Jira cloud.

This is the marketplace listing link
And this is the community post where I announced it

Thank you!

Best,

Easy for Jira

0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2023

Thank you David. I tried the same code with a different cascading field and it worked.

At that point I realized that the problem was not the JSON, but the values - the values that I have specified for the "problematic" field were not aligned with the context of the field - the values I was specifying are in context A, but the project+issue type I was trying to create the issue in are in context B, which had a different set of parents and children.

Life lesson: when setting a selection field via the Jira REST API, make sure that the value (or pair of values for a cascading field) is in the context of the project and/or issue type.

David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2023

Hi @Amir Katz (Outseer)

Good catch, I am glad you were able to solve it !! :-)

Have a great start of the week,
David

Like Amir Katz (Outseer) likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders