Jira Cloud Outlook PlugIn does not work anymore

Jörg Lechler October 26, 2020

Unbenannt.PNG 

I have a problem with the "Jira Cloud for Outlook" PlugIn. Since a few days the PlugIn does not work anymore and when calling it in Outlook the message "Something went wrong. Please try again later or contact support" is displayed. Also uninstalling and reinstalling the PlugIn and resetting to an older Outlook installation did not help. All other PlugIns (Confluence, Trello) work without problems. I hope you have an idea.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2020

Hi @Jörg Lechler 

Thank you for reporting this! This is really helpful! We have found the root cause of this bug and the fix is on the way. Please try again in 30-40 minutes. Let me know if it worked.

Sorry for the interruption.

Jörg Lechler October 26, 2020

wow, what an incredibly fast support! It works. Thanks a lot, Jörg

Like # people like this
0 votes
Lucinda Pagett March 7, 2023

Hi Atlassian - we have a few staff members who have tried to download the Jira Cloud and Outlook plugin but they are both seeing errors. It's asking them to refresh the page and when they do, they are still having the same error. Is someone able to assist please ?

Thanks,

Lucinda

Lucinda Pagett March 7, 2023

See attached image for the error message they getMicrosoftTeams-image (27).png

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2023

Hi @Lucinda Pagett 

Could you please try to open Outlook Online (outlook.com) and try to connect the Jira account from there? Does it work?

Lucinda Pagett April 26, 2023

Hi Vitalii - when we connect via Outlook Online, the Jira plugin only connects to our personal email account and not the shared inbox. It's an inbox where we can send and receive emails however there are multiple people who can view the emails in that inbox.

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2023

Hey @Lucinda Pagett 

Unfortunately, Jira Cloud for Outlook does not support shared mailboxes. However, we have a public suggestion for this. Feel free to vote and "watch" it for updates:

API-186: Support shared mailboxes

0 votes
Simon Prentner October 27, 2020

Hey there

I'm experiencing the same problem for about one week. After reinstalling outlook and update, the "Oops" changed to this message:

grafik.png

The Add-In works fine on my mobile phone. Also my colleague uses the same Add-In and Jira Project without any trouble. So it seems to stick with my local outlook.

I really would like to get this feature back!

Thanks

Simon

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2020

Hi @Simon Prentner 

I'd suggest you reinstall the add-in in Outlook (it won't delete any data).

Let me know if it works.

Simon Prentner October 27, 2020

I did several times ...

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2020

Got it. What Outlook version do you have? Is it a desktop client for Windows? Do your colleagues have the same Outlook version? I'd suggest you check if there any updates available for Outlook and install them.

If it still doesn't work, please send us feedback using this add-in on mobile (Menu -> Give feedback), so we can provide you further support.

image.png

Bianca Talarico May 19, 2021

I am also having an issue with the Outlook plugin @Vitalii Saienko. However, my issue seems to be an account authentication related issue... My default browser is Chrome and I have Edge and IE11 installed on this PC.

I have tried the following:

1. Removing and re-adding the plugin via Outlook several times.

2. Making Edge my preferred browser to see if the authentication window will open in a new preferred browser.

3. Disabling IE11 on my PC then restarting.

4. One suggestion by a colleague was to remove my account from JIRA and re-add me. This is not an options as I have a few things now in my name which I can't loose.

My authentication window keeps trying to use IE11 which doesn't load. Does anyone know the solution to this one please?

Capture.PNG

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2021

Hi @Bianca Talarico

Atlassian has dropped support of IE11 in March 2020.

That's why the authentication screen doesn't work. Unfortunately, older versions of Outlook still use IE11 as a default browser to render add-ins and open external links (as one for authentication), no matter what default browser you have.

As a proper solution, I would suggest you update Outlook to the latest version. The latest version uses a newer Microsoft Edge browser to render the add-in content in the sidepanel and it uses your default browser to open external links. Here's the link to the table where you can see which version of Microsoft product uses which browser.

Browsers used by Office Add-ins

TL;DR, you need to be on the latest Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 ver. >= 16.0.13530.20424

As a workaround, if you can't install all the latest Windows updates and you can't update your Outlook right now, you can do the following:

1. Click on the "Connect now" button.
  2. Close the auth window.
  3. Right-click on the "Connect now" button and copy the URL.
  4. Open that link in the browser of your choice (anything but IE11).

Once you complete authorization there, it should work.

But I strongly encourage you to update Outlook to the latest version as it uses Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser to render the add-in content in sidepanel which makes the add-in much faster. We got lots of feedback about the add-in being slow and this is mostly because of IE11 under the hood.

Please let me know if it helps or if you have any questions.

Hi @Vitalii Saienko ,

I am using Windows 10 and Office Outlook 2016. See attached.

Should this problem exist on Outlook 2016? I will chat to some work colleagues to see what else I can do. One of my colleagues has the same Windows and Outlook version as I do and his plugin works. But mine will not work with everything we tried so far. Thanks for your help.

Capture 2.PNGCapture 3.PNG 

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2021

@Bianca Talarico Yes, this problem exists on Outlook 2016, Outlook 2016 uses IE11 as a default browser. The add-in itself should work on this version, it's authorization which doesn't work. The reason it works for your colleague is they might have found the way to authorize somehow outside of IE11.

Anyway, give the workaround, described in my previous answer, a try. Once you authorize in another browser you should be able to use the Outlook add-in in your current Outlook version.

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2021

@Bianca Talarico one other option I can suggest trying is to go to the Microsoft Edge WebView2 page and install it. Then your Office suite should use it as a default web view instead of IE. And if that's the case, you should be able to complete the authentication process.

Like Vitalii Saienko likes this

Thanks @Vitalii Saienko , your work around option 1 worked. We had already tried option 2 but when the authorization link was copied into a different browser and I tried to login we got a message stating "Unauthorized" in the browser window and nothing happened.

Like # people like this
Alistair.Mead July 6, 2021

Hello - I am having the same or similar issue through the app and outlook (web and app)

I am running Edge - Version 91.0.864.64 (Official build) (64-bit) and 0365 outlook in Edge.
I get the following error.
image.png

Please help.

I have ensured all updates are current.

I have unistalled the plugin, logged out of Jira account, had my jira account removed and re added.

In addition if I try to use the mobile app, when I sign in with SSO, the options I have to connect to our business account do not appear.

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
July 7, 2021

Hi @Alistair.Mead 

Do you have access to Jira Cloud or Jira Server? E.g., is your Jira site is on jira-name.atlassian.net domain? Jira Cloud for Outlook does only work with Jira Cloud sites.

Usually, this error means that you don't have access to any Jira CLoud site or your license has expired. Could you please double-check this?

If you are sure you have access to the Jira Cloud site, open the add-in in Outlook, and in the menu, there's a Feedback button. Please send us a note there and include your email and we will try to help you.

Alistair.Mead July 7, 2021

@Vitalii Saienko Hi there.

I have access to Jira cloud as I have projects in there. I have had our internal team check but I can use Jira through our corporate site etc so I have to assume that is all ok.

I have sent a bug through the outlook add-in

Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events