Jira Automation

Sravan Duddella June 2, 2022

Hello Team, I have built an automation to move the Epic to Blocked status automatically if one of the linked tickets are moved to blocked status.

Below is the JQL that I used to achieve this (which is working fine) and when the issues match the below, I have set the action to move the Epics in SAND project to Blocked on Shipping.

project = Test AND status in ("Blocked on DCE", "Blocked on Customs", "Blocked on HWS", "Blocked on INF Planning", "Blocked on Logistics") AND issueFunction in issuesInEpics("project in (SAND)")

Now, I would like to create an automation to revert the transition on the Epic back to the previous state(in-progress) when all the child tickets are moved from Blocked (NOT in Blocked anymore), could someone help me with the JQL for this?

Basically, 1+2 will show me the results where the Epic is in blocked even though all the linked tickets are not in blocked, now I'm struggling to make the logic to work....

1) project = Test AND status in (Planning, Compliance, In-Transit, Customs) AND issueFunction in issuesInEpics("project in (SAND)")

+

2) project = SAND AND status = "Blocked on Shipping"

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2022

Hi @Sravan Duddella 

Are you using an Automation for Jira rule to do this?  If so, would you please post images of your rule for context?  Thanks!

Without seeing your rule, I expect you can trigger the second case on an issue transition, check if the parent Epic is "blocked" with a condition, and use a second condition to check the other child issues before transitioning the parent to "in progress".

Kind regards,
Bill

Sravan Duddella June 2, 2022

Hello @Bill Sheboy Yes, I am. Here is the automation that I used to move the Epic to Blocked:

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 12.00.47 PM.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2022

Thanks, and another way to do this is triggered on issue transition (rather than scheduled).  For example to move TO blocked:

• trigger: issue transitioned TO one of your blocking conditions
  • condition: issue type is whatever you use a children of epics
  • branch: on epic parent
    • condition: epic is not currently in blocked status
    • action: transition to blocked status

The rule to move FROM blocked is similar, and adds another condition:

• trigger: issue transitioned FROM one of your blocking conditions
  • condition: issue type is whatever you use a children of epics
  • condition: on JQL to confirm there are no children of the epic in blocked statuses
  • branch: on epic parent
    • condition: epic is in blocked status
    • action: transition to in-progress status
Like John Funk likes this
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2022

Hi @Sravan Duddella

@Bill Sheboy is right on the money here! The related issues condition is the one he mentioned as well. You'd do something like this after you've branched:

related.png

Cheers,

Simeon

Sravan Duddella June 13, 2022

Hello Team, 

Apologies for the delayed response on this, I was away for a few days. Haven't got a chance to check this.

So here is my issues, I'm having difficulty in building the JQL and was hoping one of you could help.

Suggest an answer