Jira Automation intended to clone issue upon transition to Done not working

Apryl Harris September 16, 2022

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Automation and json. I copied existing, working Automation from a team-managed project to apply to a new company-managed project. But, the automation is not working in the company-managed project. All fields are on the screens and conditions were met in the test issue. What's wrong with this Automation?

Things to know:

1. Resolution screen on Done transition
  2. Issue can be transitioned out of Done to To Do. If that is executed, resolution is cleared 
  3. To Do is the Kanban board's Backlog status

Thank you for your help, Community!

Automation Image #1.pngAutomation Image #2.png

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hello @Apryl Harris 

Please explain what exactly you mean by the automation is "not working".

Please show us the Audit Log for an execution of the Rule where you did not end up getting the expected results.

Not working = i expect a cloned issue would be created with an issue is transitioned to Done. the cloned issue is not created. Log is attachedAutomation Audit Log.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Based on the image you provided, the issue that triggered the rule execution did not match your fourth condition

Issue Type = Task

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

But, the issue type = Task. See upper left corner.

Task.png

However, it got me to thinking that I may just need to refresh the field selections even though I made the custom fields with the same name for the company-managed project.

And voila!!! The automation was successful. The Clone was created and went to the first status of the workflow!

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!

Like # people like this
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

Yeah even though the original automation rule was a Task, behind the scenes, Jira sees team-managed project issue types completely different than issue types on company-managed projects.  So, refreshing the condition to look for Task again was an important step.  

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

Hi @Apryl Harris 

You don't need the Advanced section. 

• Story Points - This is a standard field so you should be able to add it from the Choose fields to set dropdown
  • Status - You're not going to be able to set this.  When you clone issues they will be created with the first status in your workflow.  So if To Do is your first status, you should not have to do anything.  However, if that's not your first status and you want it to transition, you'll need to add a couple more steps to your automation after your Clone:
    • BRANCH (Recently Created Issue)
      • ACTION: Transition issue to To Do

I selected Story Points from the dropdown; and did remove the json from the Advanced section. 

I just entered the value for Story Points as 1 (this would be the value for the cloned issue). Is that correct, should I have entered it as {{1}}, or some other format? 

Thank you.

Automation Image #2b.png

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

Yes this should be correct.  Note per the response from @Trudy Claspill, your rule is working as designed.  Your condition is failing for issue type = Task.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events