Jira Automation Template for company-managed projects

Bogdan Apostol September 5, 2022

Hello everyone, I am trying to create an automation template for User Stories templates. 

I have tried creating multiple automations, by adding a specific Description but it doesn't seem to work. 

This is the way I have tried doing the automation.

We are using a company-managed project.

jira_1.jpg

I have written a user story in this format and it worked fine, so I don't know why it's not working. 

jira_2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :) . 

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2022

Hi @Bogdan Apostol 

First of all I can confirm that on my end, using markup on the description fields works fine. My suggestion would be to check first and foremost the audio log of the rule. What does it say?

The audit log says the status is SUCCESS (rule completed without errors and performed some actions successfully), but on my end I can't see anything when creating a new story. 

Are you also using a company-managed project? 

Also, I am not sure what actor I should choose, I am always choosing "User who triggered the event".

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2022

Aahh!

You have to make sure that the user who creates the issue, has also edit permissions.

When YOU try to create a new issue, is this rule working?

No, when I try to create a new issue, the rule is not working. And don't know where else to check, or how to check the edit permissions :). 

We are quite new to Jira so we're still learning. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2022

Try to change the actor to "Automation for Jira" and try again.

Permissions are set on Project setting > Permissions

However, priori of changing any permission, you should check that the permission scheme does not affect any other project. Share a screenshot of it if you want.

We are using for now the Free version. This is how the permissions look like. 

jira_3.jpg

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2022

Did you change the actor as well and tried it again?

Please post your rule as well as your audit log from the last success or fail issue, which the description didn't change.

automation_1.jpgautomation_2.jpg

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2022

Did you change the actor as well and tried it again?

Yes, the status Config change status is after I changed the actor and still doesn't work.

Can you share please an example of how you have it? Probably I am missing something. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2022

markdown rule01.png

markdown rule02.png

markdown rule03.png

markdown rule04.png

Did you change anything on the field configuration for the description field?

Looking now over detailed Audit log, I can see that under Success I see this. 

Opening that story displays the template I have created. It was created by another user.

jira_4.jpg

But I don't understand what means, If block. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2022

Share a screenshot of your IF component.

jira_5.jpg

I think this could be the issue

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2022

No, that shouldn't be the problem. It is correct. The "If Block" will evaluate if the issue type is a Story. If that fails, then it will evaluate the "else block". So we are good.

I would propose to delete that if block and create a new one, or add an "Issue fields condition" instead of and if-then-else component.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events