Jira Automation - Scheduled rule missing checkbox?

Eric Ranz _X_ May 22, 2023

I'm trying to set up a schedule-based automation rule. I believe that there should be a checkbox next to "Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed," but I don't see one. By default it looks like this is enabled (and I don't want it to be checked), but I don't see an option to uncheck it. I'm not using Jira Cloud. Is this a bug?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Hello @Eric Ranz _X_ 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

According to the documentation here there should be a checkbox. Can you share a screen image of what you see?

Eric Ranz _X_ May 22, 2023

Scheduled.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

What version of Automation for Jira are you using?

Have you tried accessing the same screen from a different browser?

Eric Ranz _X_ May 23, 2023

Jira v8.22.6

Reproduced the issue on Chrome, Edge, and Safari browsers

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Are you using Jira Server or Jira Data Center?

For a self-hosted system of that version, Automation for Jira would've been installed as an extra app. Can you find out what version of Automation for Jira you have? You may have to ask your Jira Administrators for that information.

While you're asking them that, you should also ask if they can recreate the problem you see.

Eric Ranz _X_ May 30, 2023

Turns out that this is a bug with this specific version of Automation for Jira. The checkbox can be selected by clicking where the invisible checkbox should be. You can verify that it's selected by exporting the rule to JSON and viewing the value for onlyUpdatedIssues.

0 votes
Rachel Yager May 30, 2023

Posting in case it's helpful for others!

In some cases, the checkboxes on the configuration pages for Automation for Jira are "missing" due to third party add-ons - in this case, specifically certain versions of ScriptRunner. They are still there, just hidden. See this article for more details.

In these cases, my trick is to save the rule (you can disable it for now), and then export the rule to a JSON file and simply read the JSON file (works best with a browser + JSON viewer extension, but you can also use a text editor and look for the related flag). You can see if the option is enabled (true) / disabled (false), and then click where the box would be to change it (though you'll have to save + export again to confirm).

It's a bit of a long workaround, but it works in a pinch (of course, the better, long term answer is to update ScriptRunner to the fixed version, but in case it's not possible right away, this is a decent workaround).

Suggest an answer