Jira Automation: How to add prefix for summary on Subtask Creation.

Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2022

Hi,

I am working now on creating subtasks based on one custom field change. I am able to make this work but the problem is troubling adding  "prefix - Summary" on subtask during the creation. 

I tried writting the text as "Jan - {{issue.summary}}"

and "Jan - {{issue.parent.summary}}"

Both did not work. Second one updating the Task summary. But I need it for Subtask. 

Any advice?

Thanks,

Om

1 answer

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2022

Hi @Omprakash Thamsetty 

Use {{triggerIssue.summary}} for this.

This is explained a bit here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/

This fires based on if you are using automation to immediately create the sub task.

You can also do a issue created and with JQL check if it is a sub task and if yes use the issue.parent but you will need the exact field you want e.g. {{issue.parent.summary}}

I hope this helps

Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2022

Hi @Ismael Jimoh I tried smart values but it is updating parent summary, Not the subtask summary.

I used {{issue.parent.summary}} and it is updating parent issue summary. If I use Jan - {{issue.summary}} then it is not updating summary as prefix. It is updating with parent summary only.

automation.PNG

Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2022

Look like I figured it out. I used most recently created action

automation1.PNG

Like Ismael Jimoh likes this
Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2022

Hi @Ismael Jimoh 

Looks like I don't have the Branch rule/ Related issue option in IF block. I tried Branch rule/Related issue on Main branch but I have added If condition to check some of the field values to trigger create subtask as shown in below pic.

Do you have any idea how I can handle Branch rule/related issues in IF block? Or any otherway I can change the subtask summary which we create in IF block?

automation2.PNG

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2022

Hi @Omprakash Thamsetty 

Unfortunately, certain options can only be performed at certain steps in Automation for Jira. 
When an option isn’t available, it means it isn’t possible.

I don’t have an idea how to get this tow work in your case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events