Jira Automation Email Notification Question

Craig Lashley December 21, 2020

Good Afternoon,

I am working to set up a Jira automation rule to check for outstanding tickets every 3 days, and send an email to notify a specific team of each ticket. It works but not the way I'd like it to. Currently, it sends an email for each ticket. I was hoping to send one email that contained all the outstanding tickets on that one email. Here are some screenshots of how my automation rules and are set up and the outcome:

JiraPic1.png Above are my rules

JiraPic2.pngAbove shows the individual email notification per ticket on that day.

I am wondering if there is a way to add a loop in the rules so it sends one email with all the tickets listed rather than individual emails per ticket. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Craig

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2020

Hi @Craig Lashley,

I think it's a better idea to create a filter subscription for that, rather than using automation.

All you need for that is a  JQL filter for each team/assignee (which you already seem to have). Save the filter and from the filter details specify the frequency to send the digest and the group of users to send it to.

See this article for more details.

Craig Lashley December 23, 2020

Thank you Walter, this solution worked.

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2020

Hi @Craig Lashley 

As you noted, that rule will process each issue separately.  When you want to process each item separately, use a branch or JQL in the schedule rule.  When you want to process them as a set, consider using Lookup Issues.  Perhaps something like this:

• Trigger: scheduled every 3 days, no JQL
  • Action: Lookup Issues,  using your JQL
  • Action: send email, iterating over the issues to send one email.  The body could use some HTML for a bullet list:
Here is the list:
<ul>
{{#lookupIssues}}
<li><a href="{{url}}">{{key}}</a> : {{summary}}</li>{{/}}
</ul>

Please see here for more information on Lookup Issues:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-general/

Best regards,

Bill

Craig Lashley December 23, 2020

Thank you Bill. I ended up going with the first solution and appreciate your response. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events