Jira Automation - Adding up numerical values under epics

Lara M March 21, 2023

Hello,

All of my stories and tasks in my backlog have a numerical value for the custom field "Total Size Days for Completion (exclu. A+D and Testing)".

For each epic related to my backlog, I would like to have an automation that adds up the Total Size Days custom field for all of the stories and tasks linked/under the epics. I would like the number that comes out of this sum to populate the custom field "Actual Days (Using Addition of Stories)" on my epics.

How do I go about doing this?

I have attached an image of what I have tried rule wise using this actual days formula at the end, but its not working

{{lookupIssues.Total Size Days for Completion (exclu. A+D and Testing).sum}Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 15.38.37.png

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Hello @Lara M 

Can you show us the Audit Log for an execution of the rule?

I believe the problem is in your Lookup Issues action. I believe the syntax is wrong. You have:

project=STWPOC and issuetype in (Story,Task) and "{{issue.Epic Link}}"

The last criteria is not valid syntax. It should be

project=STWPOC and issuetype in (Story,Task) and "Epic Link" = {{issue.Epic Link}}
Lara M March 22, 2023

Hi Trudy,

I updated the syntax what your wrote above and now its showing 'some errors'.

Please see the audit log below :) 

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 09.16.53.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Ah, yes, my apologies. Within the branch the context of the {{issue}} smart value has changed from the issue that triggered the rule to the Epic upon which you are branching. Epic Link within the Epic itself would be blank.

Before the "For Epic" step add a step to Create Variable.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 10.36.48 AM.png

Then within the For branch in the JQL for the Lookup Issues action use {{ParentEpicKey}} instead of {{issue.Epic Link}}

Lara M March 22, 2023

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for your help. So to look like this? It's still making no changes to my epics :( Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 18.45.06.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Within the For branch in the JQL for the Lookup Issues action use {{ParentEpicKey}} instead of {{issue.Epic Link}}

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events