Jira Automation: Adding new issue to board

Sam Cho September 3, 2020

Hi,

I'm using Next Gen Jira project in kanban mode. 

I've created a Jira Automation rule that creates a task when an issue is moved to a specific status. 

When that task is created it is placed in the Backlog rather than on the Board. How do I get Jira Automation to also move it from Backlog to Board?

The closest I can see is to set Sprint to Active Sprint but given that my board is kanban, Jira Automation doesn't let me do that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2020

Hi @Sam Cho 

I don't think this is possible for the kanplan mode in next gen. I've opened a public ticket to support the "move to board" action in next gen: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2037

The only alternative I could think of is to turn on sprints and set sprint to "Active sprint" (as you mentioned above). However sprints might not be a solution that works with your teams working style :( 

Thanks,

John

Martijn van Eijk September 4, 2020

Thanks for opening the ticket, John. This functionality is exactly what I'm missing too.

Sam Cho September 4, 2020

@John : Thanks for raising the ticket and confirming that I wasn't going mad trying to find that missing piece. 👍🏽

As I've just moved the team over to Next Gen and also from sprint to kanban I think that I might be lynched if I switched back to sprint now! 

My workaround is to create the task as a subtask under the trigger issue. Not ideal but we can move forward on that. 

Let me know if there's anything I can do to progress that ticket forward.

Andrew Carter February 25, 2021

Hunting for this feature as well. 

I want to send an issue to the board when setting a status to In Progress. Seems like a common sense automation.

Like # people like this
Joel Barger August 25, 2022

Agreed this needs to be fixed. What gives?

Stijn Veer, van der October 6, 2022

Also looking for this automation option. Would be a great help.

Bryan Matias October 4, 2023

Also looking for this feature for next-gen boards. Creating an issue -> having to drag and drop it to a board is so time consuming in the long run.

1 vote
Pippo September 1, 2022

I found a workaround that worked for my use case: recurrent tasks added directly into the board (and not the backlog).

This guide explains it in details: https://blog.caprar.xyz/en/2022/08/24/create-ticket-in-board-jira-automation.html.

0 votes

It's marked as a won't do. We're not going to get this functionality.

:-(
https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2037

2022-08-25 11_59_54-[AUT-2037] Action to allow users to move issues from the backlog to the board in.png

Sam Cho August 25, 2022

@Joel Barger: Thanks for that update which is disappointing to read.

FWIW, I've stopped using next-gen (team-managed) and only use classic (company-managed) projects.

Like Joel Barger likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

@Joel Barger  @Sam Cho 

If you look at the Comments you'll see that they closed it as a duplicate of

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-919

which is still open. And the issue is also tracked here

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21481

Like # people like this

@Trudy Claspill Thanks for the heads up.

0 votes
Sergei August 14, 2022

I'd also like the ability to move Jira issues that are created through Jira Automation to be added to a next-gen Kanban board automatically.

@sam @John @Andrew Carter @Martijn van Eijk @Trudy Claspill please upvote and comment on the issue JSWCLOUD-21481 to show Atlassian that this is worth focusing resources on ASAP.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up @Trudy Claspill!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2022

There is already an issue in the Atlassian backlog, created in 2021.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21481

Like # people like this

+1'd

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2020

When issues are created, even through automation, they will be set to the status designated in the workflow for newly created issues. With a Kanban board that has Backlog enabled, that will usually mean the issue is placed in the backlog.

If you want it to be moved out of the backlog and onto the board, you need to extend the automation to include a Status Change/Transition on the new issue to update it to a status that is displayed on your Kanban board.

@Trudy Claspill : Thanks for responding. I understand your answers on a classic Jira project but on the next-gen project I do already see all statuses on my kanban board. So I'm unclear how transitioning the issue to another status then shows it on the board. 

That aside - happy to give this a go. How do I get the Jira Automation to transition the task that I just created? When I use the Transition action it moves the issue that triggers the automation. 

Thanks!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2020

I don't work as much in next gen projects.

I've just set up one as an experiment and I don't see a Backlog option on it. Can you provide a screen image of what you're seeing showing the issue in the 'Backlog' but not on the board?

@Trudy Claspill : No worries - this is my first next-gen project and finding about all their idiosyncrasies.

2020-09-03_17-02-35.png

Like Darren Rooney likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events