• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira Audit Log - anonymous user

I am new to Atlassian administration of Jira and Confluence.  Over the holiday week a new Jira app, Risk Register, was installed.  When I viewed the Jira Audit Log, the "By" user information indicates "anonymous", please see below:

Installed app Risk Register (com.projectbalm.riskregister.riskregister-jira version 1.1.39-AC)anonymousDec 28 2020 12:12:18 AM

How can I get more information?

4 answers

0 votes

There is also an audit log on the Manage Apps page itself that might show more info

Or ask all your Jira admins

Thanks that is all the information that can be gleaned from the Audit Log.

0 votes
Prince Nyeche Community Leader Jan 04, 2021

Hi @Robert Lee 

Welcome to Community! Ah this is a tricky mystery! Most times, when an Add-on is being installed it fires some event which goes to the lifecycle of the App, in most cases it should return a response and details of the app stored. In rare cases, this occurs and you get an indication of anonymous user. This is problematic to debug, but if you really want to know who installed the App or more info, you can get in touch with Atlassian Support, although they have a time limit on how long such information is kept.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jan 06, 2021

Hi @Robert Lee

Apart from asking who actually installed the App (referring to what Prince Nyeche already explained very well) there should be a Suggestion on jira.atlassian.com from my point of view to further improve the logging. "Anonymous" looks suspicious and you are not the first user who said "was my password hacked? Who is this "anonymous" user who installed an App"?

I found something but this is probably aiming towards automatic upgrades:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67532

Question left:

• Is there any chance the App was already present in your instance and this was "just" an upgrade?
  • Can you get on hold of all your admins asking if they erolled "Risk Register"?
    • ==> If nobody tells that he was it then it is a great mystery.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Robert, I'm from ProjectBalm, the company that makes Risk Register. If you email your query to support@projectbalm.atlassian.net, we can have a look at our backend logs and see if there is any further information.

kind regards,
Craig

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,105 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you