Jira Agile - Epic time tracking

Hi,
with Jira Agile I am forced to move from task-subtask concept to epis-issue concept(I am really not very happy with that).
But real blocker problem for me is that I can not sum logged hours of work on issues to epic.
I am missing something or it is really not possible?
Thanks

16 answers

It amazes me how Atlassian is ignoring all of these requests for such a basic but very useful feature.

FWIW our company would value the summing of logged work of Tasks in Epics just as the logged work of SubTasks are summed into Tasks. 

thanks for considering adding this feature.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add my experience. We also suffered from the lack of summing of stories etc under Epics. It is unbelievable that this has not yet been added to the product by Atlassian and it smacks of Agile as an afterthought to JIRA.

My solution was to create groovy scripts and use scripted custom fields (available via the ScriptRunner addon). I have a number of scripts that are used to calculate:

• summation of original estimate values under Epics
  • summation of the logged effort under Epics
  • summation of the remaining estimate values under Epics

I have created two versions of these fields. One type return the "raw" value (in seconds) for export of a list of Epics to excel. The other type are html versions, output in hours and colour coded depending upon how they compare against the Epics own estimates and summations.

The only problem is that if you display a filtered list of issues with the calculated fields displayed then the display will take longer to render as the values are calculated each time they are displayed. This means that they are always up to date but can take longer to display.

Could you provide me with the scripts please Barry?

Can I get one of your scripts as example?

Hello Barry.

I will be very interested to use your script for the summation of original estimate values under Epics. Is it possible for you to give me ? It will be a big help for me.

Regards,

Olivier

Hi Barry,

I would be great if you could send me your scripts. We face the same issue.

Thanks,

Asaf

It is amazing that there are no out of the box field in Epics to display the aggregate of the stories held. Useful info would be Number of stories done, Total work and remaining hours.

Hi larziliere,

I know it's not the true field you are looking for but did you spot that there is something similar to what you describe on the Agile Board - Plan Mode? Open the Epic panel on the left and expand an epic. It shows number of stories, number done and sum of estimates for the epic.

I agree, the ability to aggregate information by epic would be a great feature to have. At the very least, the ability to sum up logged and estimated times as is currently possible with sub tasks would be an obvious win.

I second the need for rolled up estimates and logged hours. I currently have an Epic with 6 Stories. Each Story has sub-tasks with estimated hours. I can view the rolled up estimates at the story level, but I cannot easily find an onscreen location where the rolled up story level estimates are further rolled up into the epic. My Scrum board shows the Estimate as 0 under the epic where I would expect it to show 18d.

@Tony Laycock That is a nice idea but the sum that the Plan/Backlog screen shows you is for the whole sprint – note when you select different Epics, the sum doesn't change.

Hi Zubo, I guess you could just use a Project Pivot Report, grouping by field "epic link".. obtaining something like:

Screenshot 2015-08-28 11.28.24.png

Hi Maurizio. How can I add or find the Project Pivot Report?

Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for!

Where is the Project Pivot Report and how do I get it we are on version 6.3

Anyone? where is it?

There are two plugins now that fulfil this task:

Free version was perfect for my needs - thank you 

Does anyone know if there is an official feature request with Atlassian for this feature? If so please post here so we can vote for it.

We have recently developed plugin to solve issue tracking in JIRA. It's called Epic Report, you can check it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.epicreport.epicreports/cloud/overview

cS-1.png

Or jump right into the demo:

If you  do any questions about the plugin, please don't hesitate to ask.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-8726 has been sitting around neglected since 2013 and doesn't show any signs of improving.

That's why we have created Epic Report: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.epicreport.epicreports/cloud/overview

It has other functions as well, but providing totals for time estimates and story points for any issue or JQL is core feature

Thanks, but I honestly don't want any plugin involved unless the older Agile plugin that introduced epics as I want to use this in any place where I currently use issue fields.  Even if I wasn't using JIRA server, I certainly don't want to pay $250 / month for missing core functionality.

Hi Zubo,

I'm confused about what you are saying, in JIRA Agile you can still use Tasks and sub-tasks just like in JIRA. An Epic is a collection of Tasks (or Stories) which is at a higher level.

You could take a look at the Epic reports underneath the report mode of JIRA Agile to see if that report gives you the information you need.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for answer. Task/subtask concept not work in Jira Agile the way which I expect(I can not plan subtasks in agile rapid board - but this is not big problem to switch to epic/task concept).
I looked at report which you suggested - it is usefull but not for this concrete task. I need the fast way to know how many hours we spended at particular epic - this is sum of logged hours at issues under the epic(when I have tasks as epics and subtasks as stories I have sum of logged work available on task all the time - it is very comfortable).

Hi Zubo,

JIRA Agile considers sub-tasks to be a integral part of a Story, so it wouldn't make sense to schedule some sub-tasks of a story behind sub-tasks of other stories. If you did it like that your stories wouldn't be finished.

If you use sub tasks in Stories you'll still get the nice Time Tracking (including sub tasks) that you used to have.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Zubo,

Check out the Intelligent Reports plugin. We just released support for JIRA Agile, including a sprint timesheet which show the total hours worked for each epic.

If you need slightly different data it is very easy to get - simply design your report in Microsoft Word and fill in the data using simple point and click rules. No scripting or API to learn.

Hi,

thanks for answer. Report are nice and usefull, but why I have to pay for something what worked in JIRA but after Agile ingration it is not possible any more :(.

Yep, my issue is that for exec dashboarding, getting into this page is not efficient. I would rather have a field I can use in the JIRA issue list macro on a Confluence page which is why I am suing this.

From my research, the solution si to use structure and cross fingers that its sync feature works as well as advertised with Jira Agile.

The Epic Report seems have the most complete information, but it is difficult to get to. It would be great if I could open the epic report directly from the Epic page. That does not seem possible. Am I missing something?

This is so pathetic that Atlassian still dont show basic report at epic and version level. 

Most of people would want to see:

1) Efforts reports (Estimated, Logged & Remaining ) at Epic Level 

2) Efforts reports (Estimated, Logged & Remaining ) at Version Level

3) Effort roll up from Sub-task to story to Epic

>> Should also have option to add a custom field of type Epic, which can be between Epic and Story, lets say theme. 

Have you seen Pivot Report? We created it to fulfill this gap. For me those are very essential indicators you've mentioned, can't imagine any planing and time tracking without them.

I know that this is an old thread but I have just seen the requests for my original scripts. If anybody is still interested...

We have JIRA 6.3.7 with the Script Runner 3.0.6 add-on.

I created several custom scripted fields. In the corresponding “Script Runner -> Script Fields” configuration:

epic-scripted.png

The groovy scripts (see link - need to have .txt extension removed) are located on our JIRA server at the above specified locations. Note that there are a couple that are imported by the others.

<<https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1EGxNZqiULURCZ-70HQf4h9w2h4UBO3vP>>

Regards,

Barry.

Wonderful and thanks a lot for sharing !!

Olivier

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

933 views 5 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot