Jira REST API changelog does not include assignee change

Chris Dunford September 21, 2017

If a user resolves an issue and changes the assignee in the resolution dialog, the changelog returned by the REST API includes the status change but not the assignee change.

Is this a bug? Is there a way to know that the assignee changed?

TIA

1 answer

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2017

Hi Chris,

I have just validated this using the JAVA API 7.5.0. To test, in a post-function I have a custom Script Runner script with the below text.

def map = issue.getModifiedFields()
map.each {
def modifedValue = it.value
log.info(it.key + " = " + " changed from " + modifedValue.getOldValue() + " to " + modifedValue.getNewValue())
}

The log successfully prints for the change in assignee and resolution.

Can you please provide you code block so we can help diagnose the issue if possible?

Also let me know if you are trying to do this in a condition/validator or a post-function?

Cheers

Bhushan

Chris Dunford September 22, 2017

Hi Bhushan,

Sorry, I was referring to the REST API, not the Java API. I've updated the original question to clarify this.

This is done in a standalone C# app that we use for reporting. It is simply the response from

https://[our-company].atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/[issue-key]?expand=changelog

The returned change log includes the changes in status and resolution but not the change in assignee.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Dunford September 23, 2017

By the way, the change in assignee doesn't show in the History tab when I view the issue in Jira either. The changes to status and resolution show, but the change in assignee does not. This seems like an error.

Chris Dunford September 24, 2017

Here's what I'm talking about. In the Resolve screen, the issue's status, resolution, and assignee were all changed, but the change log returned by the REST API only has the status and resolution:

"items": [
      {
          "field": "resolution",
          "fieldtype": "jira",
          "fieldId": "resolution",
          "from": null,
          "fromString": null,
          "to": "10400",
          "toString": "Not a problem"
      },
      {
          "field": "status",
          "fieldtype": "jira",
          "fieldId": "status",
          "from": "1",
          "fromString": "Open",
          "to": "5",
          "toString": "Resolved"
      }
  ]
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2017

Hi Chris,

By the way, the change in assignee doesn't show in the History tab when I view the issue in Jira either. The changes to status and resolution show, but the change in assignee does not. This seems like an error.

Do you actually see the change in assignee and the change is not being logged in the history? If yes, please raise a technical support request at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/. The team will be able to confirm if it is a bug and help you out.

If not, we can try and investigate your workflow post-function in more detail.

Cheers

Bhushan

Chris Dunford October 5, 2017

Hi Bhushan,

Do you actually see the change in assignee and the change is not being logged in the history?

Well, what we see is that the current assignee is not the same as the last assignee shown in the history, so at some point there was a reassignment that is not in the history (or the change log).

I suspect that this happens when a case is automatically reassigned during resolution, which occurs because we have "Assign the issue to the reporter" as a Post function. I think that this action doesn't go into the history, even though (IMO) it really should.

I will contact tech support.

Thanks,
Chris

Like Doug Washabaugh likes this

Suggest an answer