Jira 8.13.1 seems to be using MySQL 8 keyword in SELECT query

chaitanyavaranasi November 23, 2020

The versions in use:

MySQL 8; Jira 8.13.1

I am trying to reindex after upgrading from Jira 8.9 to 8.13.1 and MySQL from 5.7 to 8. I get the error - 

Exception during index consistency check: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FROM project ORDER BY pname (You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ', DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FR' at line 1)

'LEAD' is one of the new keywords in MySQL 8. Hence the error from the query. 

I tried starting Jira in safe mode to make sure there is no impact from user-installed plugins.

Any thoughts to what could have gone wrong?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

hi @chaitanyavaranasi welcome on the community. I sugges you to check Supported platforms page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/supported-platforms-938846830.html

At least I can see that different Connector/J driver must be used when switching from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/8.0.html

chaitanyavaranasi November 24, 2020

Thank you for your response Martin. Yes that did the trick. I thought running apt intall libmariadb-java should suffice. Apparently not.

Also, the official mysql site gives you a .deb file. Do not copy paste that to the lib folder. You need to apt install that deb file and use the final .jar file.

This issue is resolved.

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2020

@chaitanyavaranasi I'm happy, it helped :).

Could you accept the answer please? So anyone else can easily use this answer to solve the problem.

Shankar Nakka April 27, 2021

Hello Martin,

Can i have the name of the Driver and URL to install or place on the lib folder in Jira installation folder. 

We upgraded Jira Database from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8.0.20. Because of the Reserved Word LEAD data is not populating on dashboards. 

Your Comments:

At least I can see that different Connector/J driver must be used when switching from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8

Suggest an answer