Jira 7.12.3 Installation on Digital Ocean constantly crashing

David Rhoderick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Every single time I start Jira on my DigitalOcean CentOS droplet, it crashes.  It's done this after a clean installation and after addressing many different issues including ensuring the database is the correct collation and character set and permissions are given to the right user, permissions on installation and home directories are given to the jira user and group, increasing the droplet's size, increasing the JVM memory allowance, using first my actual license then using a trial license, and I'm sure other things.

What happens when I run Jira in the foreground is that I can see that Jira is loading and sometimes it'll even show me a page such as creating the admin account or adding my license and sometimes I can even enter information but now, whenever it tries to load the dashboard, it'll crash.  In the foreground read out, everything looks OK-ish (I didn't check every line because it is so verbose) but it'll just say "killed" and stop.  I've linked to my logs below and I'll happily provide any additional details.  I've been trying to get this working for over a month!

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZTqOE7Z5AhtCDRgIWbTaYQJgTLRp0CUAqV0

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Rhoderick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Rebuilt it on an Ubuntu droplet using the tutorial at https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/62855-hosted-jira-in-15-minutes-for-20-per-month-on-digital-ocean-updated and it is much better.

0 votes
Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

Have you tried using the installation steps in this document:

Installing Jira applications on Linux from Archive File

David Rhoderick
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

I looked at those and more or less follow them (this would be between the 3rd and 6th time I've installed Jira; it's been so many that I don't know anymore) but the accepted answer I posted above ended up worked.  I'm not sure if CentOS is less configured for Jira than Ubuntu (even though I saw that Atlassian recommend CentOS) but I am definitely more at home on a Debian Linux since I use Pop!_OS, Ubuntu, and Mint on my desktops and laptops.

Suggest an answer