JS Timer in the background for session timeout

Jon Kocen June 6, 2022

We have a security policy that is required to timeout every 15 minutes of inactivity. To solve this with our custom apps, we just put in a JS timer and a simple pop up, then make an AJAX call to reset the time.

In Jira, is there a common file Jira loads each time that I could put in this JS snippet for our time out issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2022

Hi Jon, 

Thanks for using the Atlassian Community!  

There are multiple JSP pages that load for various components of Jira, so I do not believe there is a single common page that you could put your JavaScript snippet into.  

Having said that, there is functionality in Jira to set session timeouts.  By default the session timeout is set to 300 minutes (or 5 hours), but that can be changed as outlined in Change the default session timeout to avoid user logout in Jira Server.  

While that article is geared towards increasing the timeout to prevent users from getting logged out, the same settings should be usable to set the value lower and enforce a more aggressive timeout.  I will call out as well the warnings that are listed in that article.  Given this is a customization to the application there are certain risks/warnings associated to it as outlined in the article. 

So prior to implementing anything it would be recommended to understand the implications of this and set it up in a test environment first to ensure it is functioning as intended.  I would also personally recommend keeping a back up of any modified files just in case the change would need to be reverted.  

Would the timeout mentioned in the article achieve what you are looking to do?  

Best, 

Andy

Suggest an answer