JQL

Aswathi D March 23, 2023

Hi ,
I need to know the JQL for whether a story ticket has subtask or not ..if yes ,check whether it has xyz ( field) = A and status = done

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

Hello @Aswathi D 

There is not a native JQL function for Jira Server/DC that lets you select parent issues based on whether or not they have subtasks.

Do you have any third party apps that extend JQL functionality? If not would it be possible for you to acquire one?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Najm Polaris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

Hi @Aswathi D

You cannot search if sub-tasks are present or not as mentioned by Trudy above, but you can do rest of the JQL and the sub-task you can have the sub-tasks column to view which issues have the sub-tasks. 

download (11).png

2 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Aswathi D

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would be easy to do with the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called "smart columns" that aren’t natively available, including the number of sub-tasks.

This is how it looks in action:

number-of-sub-tasks.gif

As you can see above, you can easily sort and filter by the number of sub-tasks. Once you've narrowed down your list of issues, you can work on your issues directly in JXL, trigger various operations in Jira, or export your issues with just one click. You can also use the column across JXL's advanced features, such as support for issue hierarchies, issue grouping, sum ups, and conditional-formatting.

Since you've tagged your question for Jira Server: As you may have heard, app sales have ended for Jira Server. Are you planning to migrate to Data Center or Cloud? I'd strongly recommend that. If you need some more time, JXL is perfectly compatible with Jira Server; it's just that we need to generate a license for you. If the above looks interesting, just let me know, and I'll happily start a free trial for you.

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer