Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL to show all issues and subtasks in an epic

Hi there,

I'd like to create a JQL filter to show all the issues and subtasks in an epic. There was already a discussion on it that's been marked as solved (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/JQL-to-show-all-issues-AND-subtasks-in-the-Epic/qaq-p/346433), but none of the answers provided solve the problem - they can show the issues in an epic, but none of them show subtasks as well (note that I only tried the JQL and didn't try any of the third part tools recommended).

Basically, I have an annual epic with weekly issues and daily subtasks. Each week gets cloned, with the details of the daily tasks being updated, but the cloning works because the structure of each week is the same.

I'd like to create a filter that shows all the subtasks. Note that because we're not creating all of these tasks up front, I can't create a filter with 52 tasks and then be done for the year, so it needs to be something that can update as new tasks are added. I was hoping to do something based on the epic, but since the subtasks are only linked to the epic through the issues (so, no direct link), this doesn't seem to be possible.

Has anyone found a way to make this work?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi,

Sadly you cannot achieve the desired search using standard features on Jira, you must go for a third-party app instead. Using i.e. JQL Booster Pack (if you are on Server / DataCenter) you can type the following:

1) Find all task under a given Epic (i.e. EMEA-2459)

"Epic Link" = EMEA-2459

2) Find all subtasks under returned issues above

issue IN subtasksOf(' "Epic Link" = EMEA-2459 ')

3) All together (Epic, Task & Subtask)

key = EMEA-2459 OR "Epic Link" = EMEA-2459 OR issue IN subtasksOf(' "Epic Link" = EMEA-2459 ')

(*) Note that this is just an example, you must tune above query to fit your needs.

Using this app you can also query other issues relations, check:

Regards

Actually you can get that with the command "parentEpic"

parentEpic in (EPIC-1, EPIC-2)

Enjoy! 

Hi @Jacqui Pretty ,

As you're on Jira Cloud the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. Your use case is more dynamic than that.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but the results can be quickly found using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app you can simply search:

issue in childrenOfIssuesInQueryRecursive("project='ACME' and type=Epic") and type=Subtask

The query finds all children of your epics and even children of their children - these are your subtasks. You may want to check out the docs as well.

I hope this helps!
Daniel

Daniel,

you can use the command parentEpic

parentEpic = EPIC-1

without the need for external packages.

Cheers

Paul 

That's right. Standard JQL has support for basic searches like that. If you have a static list of issue keys then you're fine with vanilla JQL. If you need the queries to be more dynamic then it's a good idea to search for JQL extensions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

👁‍🗨 Confluence Team planning dashboard_Atlympics 🌈

Hi Atlassian's, How is your journey with #Atlympics 2021 so far....excited! Me too, same excitement. Here's my typical team planning and vision dashboard which I used to share to my management and ...

46 views 1 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you