JQL to find all that have nothing in progress

Kristian December 9, 2021

Hi. I am looking for a way to get a list of all that currently do NOT have anything in "In Progress"

I am stuck creating the JQL :) 

3 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2021

Hi Kristian - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You might start by creating and saving a filter like this:

statusCategory = "In Progress"

Then create a dashboard and add a gadget for Issue Statistics

Use the filter you created for the basis of the gadget

Group your filter by using Assignee for the Issue Statistic

The result should be a grouping with a count by assignee for all In Progress issues. 

Then you can see who is not on the list since the filter will not show 0 (zero) in the list. 

Bhagyalekshmi S February 9, 2023

It shows like in the below image. The statuses are shown two times and the order is not identifiable.

status.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2023

@Bhagyalekshmi S 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Do you use Team Managed projects in your Jira system? If so, the Status values in those are considered unique status values even when they are named identically to other status values. Because each status value is unique, it will show up as a separate statistic in that gadget.

Bhagyalekshmi S February 12, 2023

Hi Trudy,

I am not using team managed project. Please suggest a way to find out the assignees who are not having or having less than two tasks in the in-progress status.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2023

Follow the guidance provided by @John Funk .

Jira does not support getting a report of Users with no issues assigned to them. You have to look at the list of users who do have assigned issues and note manually which users are not listed.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

Hello @Kristian 

Welcome to the community.

You say you are trying to get a list of "all" that have nothing in progress. "all" what? All the people who have no in progress issues? All the projects that have no in progress issues?

JQL is for getting a list of issues, not lists of other things (people, projects, ...)

The JQL provided by @Suvradip Paul would provide you with a list of all the issues in Project XXX where those issues are not set to the statuses specified between the parentheses.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2021

Thanks @Trudy Claspill  for pointing it and clarifying. I would be eager to hear from @Kristian to assist in right direction.

Kristian Lind December 9, 2021

Sorry, I mean all the people. 
Would probably use a subset of people, not the whole org. 

I would like to get a list of people not having anything in e.g. "In Progress" so I can verify what they are actually working on

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

You cannot get such a list with the native JQL functionality in Jira Cloud. As I said, the functionality is designed to provide you with a list of issues, not a list of users or other types of entities that exist in Jira.

If you are working with projects where there are Agile boards set up, those boards have a built in feature for showing you the users with Assigned issues. You could use those filters to see if those users have any in progress work. If a user is not shown in the filter area, that is an indication that they don't have any work assigned to them within the scope of that board.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.03.26 AM.png

This applies only to the context of issues in that particular agile board, though.

Are you trying to find users that have no issues assigned to them at all, or users with not issues that are in progress (users may have issues that are not in progress)?

What would you do with that list of users if you had it?

I'm trying to understand the core problem you are trying to solve to see if there is an alternate solution.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

Here are a few post from a few years ago that talk about trying to collect information about users with and without any assigned issues. I'm not sure if this would help you. And it does require the Adaptavist Scriptrunner app.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Adaptavist-questions/List-of-all-users-with-without-issues-assigned/qaq-p/887945

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Show-idle-users-without-assigned-issues/qaq-p/884180

Kristian Lind December 9, 2021

Are you trying to find users that have no issues assigned to them at all, or users with not issues that are in progress (users may have issues that are not in progress)? 
Yes

I wanted to be able to find everyone that does NOT have something assigned and In Progress

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

How many users would be in the subset of users against which you want to query?

Are you looking at data across multiple Jira projects? Or can you narrow it down to users involved with a specific project?

Is this for Software projects, Service Management projects, or Business projects, or a mix of project types?

I'm trying to understand the core problem you are trying to solve to see if there is an alternate solution.

Kristian Lind December 10, 2021

How many users would be in the subset of users against which you want to query?
In this case around 25

Are you looking at data across multiple Jira projects? Or can you narrow it down to users involved with a specific project?
I would like to use more than on projects. 

Is this for Software projects, Service Management projects, or Business projects, or a mix of project types?
Software Projects

I will identify the users with no tickets In Progress. I will use that list to check why they do not have anything In Progress. On my teams everyone should have something In Progress. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2021

Are you open to subscribing to a third party app?

I don't think you can get this report out of Jira with native functionality. If you are willing to subscribe to an app, you might look at the solution discussed in 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Adaptavist-questions/List-of-all-users-with-without-issues-assigned/qaq-p/887945

While it focuses on just users that have no work assigned, you could add to the filter it mentions 

assignee=username

...to include the issue status category...

assignee=username and statuscategory="In Progress"

I don't have Scriptrunner in my instance, so I can't actually test this out or help debug the solution.

Credit to @Tarun Sapra for the contributions on the referenced post.

Kristian Lind December 10, 2021

Unfortunately I can't use/install any third party tools.  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2021

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to get the report that you want from Jira.

You can get a list of all issues that are In Progress for all users or assigned to any user in a list of users you provide. You can use that saved filter in Issues Statistics gadget on the dashboard and group those by Assigned User. You could then compare that list to your full list of users, and from there conclude that the users not shown in the gadget are the users that have no In Progress work assigned.

But you will not be able to get a report directly from the Jira UI that lists the users who have no In Progress work.

0 votes
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2021

Hi @Kristian ,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Could you please try like this to filter out with JQL and let me know if that helps ? 

We need to phrase the status In Progress if it has other spellings.

Project = XXX and status not in (In-progress, "In Progress")

Suggest an answer