JQL to Show all the epics that have a story with the status of Done

Katrina Atkinson March 30, 2023

hello all, 

I have a routine list of stories for a specific epic type on my team. I want to have a JQL that lists only epics, based on if a story with a specific name = done. 

Project type = "XX" AND Issuetype= Epic AND ChangeType = "XXX" AND Squad = "XX" AND ___________

story summary ~ "XYZ" AND story status = "Done" 

If the story with contains this name and its done, then show the epic attached. 

3 answers

3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Hello @Katrina Atkinson 

Jira does not natively provide functionality to let you select Epics based on a filter applied to the child stories. You would need a third party app for that. There are several that provide that functionality. You can find them in the Atlassian Marketplace.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=jira&query=jql

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Katrina Atkinson 

I’m Maurício, a support engineer at Appfire and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, using JQL of Jira, you’ll not be able to do it.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this query to find all your epics whose story has the summary XYZ and it’s done.

issue in epicsOfChildrenInQuery("summary ~ XYZ and type = story and status = done")

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query.

We’ll be happy to help you!
Best regards,
Maurício

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2023

Hi @Katrina Atkinson,

another option would be to go with one of the more hierarchy-focused solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace. These apps typically have their own ways of figuring out parent/child relationships between issues, and provide more powerful ways of defining, viewing, and searching through issue hierarchies.

I can only speak for the app that my team and I are working on - JXL for Jira - but here, your use case should be easy to solve:

epics-of-stories-with-text.gif

For context, JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including the support for (configurable) issue hierarchies. In your specific use case, you'll simply enable Jira's default "epic/story/sub-task" hierarchy (that's just one click), and then use JXL's various filtering capabilities to narrow down to exactly the issues you're looking for.

Once you got your list of issues, you can work on your issues directly in JXL, trigger various operations in Jira, or export your issues with just one click.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer