JQL question about custom fields

bradley March 31, 2023

I have several Types of custom fields:

Select List (multiple choices)
Labels

I am trying to view all issues in my Projects and organize them by how many values are present in these custom fields.

The Select List values are more important than the labels.

I am trying to view the lists with this logic:

View all issues in a project with the most values in Select List, then the most values in Label, so an issue with 5 values in the Select List would appear higher than one with 4, etc.

Is this possible with JQL?

Maybe with an add-on?

Is there another way to accomplish this, perhaps with reporting?

3 answers

1 vote
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi @bradley interesting question.

my suggestion/workaround is to make a filter on all issues where the custom field is NOT EMPTY, then add that custom field to the search result columns, export it to csv, import it to Excel/Spreadsheets, do a csv conversion into columns and count the number of values (taking the separator into account) via a function.

I do acknowledge this is not very efficient, but I wouldn't know of another solution right now.

bradley April 3, 2023

Thank you.

This was what I was actually trying to avoid, but it looks like I might not be able to.

I'm probably leaning towards a 3rd party tool, or potentially using a Google Sheets integration and trying to use a function to sort imported issues.

Lots of experimentation ahead!

1 vote
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi,

Directly in JQL is not possible natively, but you could create an automation that will populate a customfield (you will need to create one) to count the number of value in the select list

Take a look at this thread

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Order-by-count-of-items-in-custom-field/qaq-p/1188981

bradley April 3, 2023

Thank you.

The OP in that discussion is actually trying to do exactly what I am with the same type of custom field. I'll check out the solution.

Sad to see that they asked the question in 2019 and Atlassian hasn't added any way to sort on either simply having a value, or matching a value in the field.

0 votes
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023
bradley April 3, 2023

Thank you.

I did read this top to bottom and am really surprised by the lack of function when it comes to custom fields and types that have supported functions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events