JQL query help with Initiatives and subtasks

Joe June 15, 2021

This the jql query I have, this shows all the canceled initiatives but also want to display the initiatives that are in progress that have a sub task canceled but not show the canceled subtask just the initiative in progress with the canceled subtask. 

project in (A, B) and issuetype in (A-Initiative, "B Initiative") and status in (Canceled)

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 16, 2021

Hi Joe,
With standard JQL you can only do some basic search

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but the results can be quickly found using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions.

To find active initiatives with cancelled epics:

issue in parentsOfIssuesInQuery("status=Cancelled") and type=Initiative and resolution is empty

To find active initiatives with any cancelled tickets in the hierarchy tree:

issue in parentsOfIssuesInQueryRecursive("status=Cancelled") and type=Initiative and resolution is empty

You can check out our docs for more information.

I hope this helps!
JQL Dan

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2021

Hi @Joe , if I'm understanding your correctly, you're looking for some kind of "nested" or "cascading" JQL query, right?  ("Find issues that are related to other issues, where the other issues have a certain status.")  If so, there's no built in way to do this.  There may be a way provided by an app from the Atlassian Marketplace.

I once did this using a script someone wrote using the REST API and promptly crashed my entire Jira server instance!  Not a fun day.  So be careful if you try to get creative with the REST API.

One thing you could do is create a dashboard of all your initiatives, and include the "Sub-tasks" or "Linked Issues" columns.  Then you can visually detect this condition.  Any "Resolved" issues will display as crossed out.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

Cheers,

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Joe June 16, 2021

@Rachel Wright How would the dashboard be created? I tried rich filter results and rich filter two dimensional statistics. 

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2021

Hi @Joe , you can use the standard "Filter Results" gadget and simply show the "Sub-Tasks" column.  Here's an example:

example-for-joe.png

You can scan through the list visually and see that since DEMO-37 is crossed out ("resolved") then it's parent issue, DEMO-1, meets the condition you were trying to query for.

Click the "..." icon on the top right of the individual gadget to add and remove columns.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright

Suggest an answer