JQL query for tracking bugs created in a given Sprint

Katarzyna Kaźmierczak December 27, 2021

Hi Community,

My team spends a lot of time each Sprint on fixing bugs which affects the delivery.

I'd like to create a Dashboard that would help me track the number of bugs created by the team each Sprint (depending on the priority, some of those bugs are fixed during the Sprint whereas others are moved to the Backlog).

Which gadget would you recommend for a better visibility and what JQL query should I use?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

Hi @Katarzyna Kaźmierczak 

Use the JQL query as 

issuetype = "Bug" AND Sprint = "Sprint Name" AND project = "Project Name"

You can use multiple gadgets

• Issue statistics
  • Filter Results
  • Use the two-dimensional gadget to show the priority of issues along with issues' status

I would recommend adding the story points for the bugs that you are working in the current sprint, and accordingly you can plan the set of tasks for next sprint along with some bugs that you may get along the way.

Velocity sprint report and Sprint burdown chart will also help analyze the in planning the same

Thanks,
Pramodh

Katarzyna Kaźmierczak December 27, 2021

Hi @Pramodh M ,

Thank you for a prompt reply. That's very helpful!

Just to confirm - would the recommended query include all the bugs identified/created in a given Sprint (including those that were moved to Backlog and are not assigned to any specific Sprint)? Or would it only capture those bugs that were created in a Sprint and assigned to it?

I would only like to track bugs that were created during a Sprint (both those assigned to that Sprint and those added to the Backlog). I don't want to track bugs assigned to a particular Sprint (as some of them are pulled from a previous Sprint).

Regards,

Kasia

Like # people like this
0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

Hi @Katarzyna Kaźmierczak -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

How are you distinguishing defects which are independent of the sprint's work versus ones related to the sprint's work?  Knowing that may help with creating your dashboard.

For example, when using a bug sub-task type for ones resulting from a sprint's work, the reporting is quite easy to distinguish these from other defects.

Regardless, I suggest trying a JQL filter which shows the bugs you want, and then try the two-dimensional filter statistic gadget...with sprint and issue type selected.  That will give you a count by sprint.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer