JQL query for epics in progress and stories status equal to done.

vinayak biradar June 20, 2022

Hie team,

We have a agile project running.And we need such a query that displays all the epics whose stories are resolved but the epic is not equal to done but in progress or in specification ? 

3 answers

1 vote
Marcin Wiktor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2022

Unfortunately it's not possible in basic JQL.

You can either try this plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud which enhances the JQL or you can try to export issues to Excel, and create a basic pivot table based on "Epic link" field to group stories with epics, filter epics' statuses to "In progress" and manually find which one has any open stories inside

Thanks for the reply Marcin.

But bacially even after exporting it will take all the epics in account. 

If I understand U wrong could You please ellaborate.

Or is it possible to display all the strories in done state and display the epic link as well in jql query ?

Yes basicaly i followed what u said-

1) I created a JQL query for all epics that are in not equal to done.

2) Then all epics were displayed as jql.

3) How I did export this to excel.

So to check the stories in this epics do u mean to check them manually by clicking each epic link ? or U mean something else ? 

Thanks 

0 votes
vinayak biradar July 19, 2022

Can somebody support me here ? Please 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2022

Hi @vinayak biradar  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You should be able to create an automation rule that is run on a scheduled trigger to send once a day and sends an email with the list of open Epics. Here is an example:

screenshot.png

Hei John

Thanks. But in our project the epics are assigned to one single user the project manager.

So he will receive all the emails which we dont want.

We want JQL to display all epics in progress state and all stories are done.

Thanks

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2022

You can send a single email with the full list once a day - or every other day if you want. 

Thanks John.

But I we do have rights to make such changes to JIRA.

Global admin has the rights. 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2022

Well, I would have your admin add it.  ;-)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2022

@vinayak biradar  - Did you have your admin add it? 

vinayak biradar July 19, 2022

No actually we cannot make it.

We are looking for JQLs.

And also I discused Your automation rule in team and they said they wont like the solution that sends constant emails.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

You can change the scheduled trigger to send how often that you want - it doesn't have to be everyday. 

vinayak biradar July 20, 2022

@John Funk 

With this automation rule can we set the epics to review and not status done ? 

We only have permissions to set it to review.

To make it done it is done by the stakeholders

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Yes, you can set it to whatever status you like. As long it is available in the workflow from the status that the Epic is currently in. 

Hristina Valcheva June 12, 2023

Hello @John Funk 

Hope you're doing great,

Can you please send me an example of automation which send email with all Stories that have Epics with status equal to In Progress?

Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

Just change the above JQL from statusCategory != Done to Status = "In Progress"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events