JQL - list epics with a label and all their children to the bottom level

Mark Stephan May 4, 2023

I've searched on this site and on google but still can't find a working solution to what I'm trying to do. I have several epics with a label "label1" (for example). I'm trying to search for and find all epics with that label, and display it along with all children to the bottom level. A pseudocode example of what I'm trying to do is:

project = projectname AND show-epic-and-all-children-of(set of epics with the label = label1)

Thanks so much in advance!

3 answers

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

Hi @Mark Stephan,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

This is not possible to do in default JQL, since it cannot do nested queries. You would need an app like Enhanced search, JQL Tricks or any of the other apps in the Marketplace that extends JQL to do this.

0 votes
Mark Stephan May 11, 2023

I ended up using Structure as an app to help me with what I needed to do. Thanks for your help!

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2023

Hi @Mark Stephan 

I’m Maurício, a support engineer at Appfire and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, using JQL of Jira, you’ll not be able to do it dynamically.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this query to find all Epics with the label “label1” and their children: 

issue in childrenOfEpicsInQuery("project = 'project name' and labels = label1") OR issue in epicsOfChildrenInQuery("") and project = "project name" and labels = label1

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query.

We’ll be happy to help you!

Best regards,

Maurício

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events