For a test, I have two issues: Issue One and Issue Two. Issue Two "is blocked by" Issue One, by creating a link between those two records.
If I do the JQL statement: issueLinkType = "is blocked by", Issue Two is correctly the only issue that is returned. Here is a screenshot of that query:
However, when I execute the JQL Query: issueLinkType = "blocks", (lower-case b, to distinguish it from "Blocks"), instead of only returning issues that block other issues, it returns all issues that are either blocking, or being blocked--in the example, both Issue One and Issue Two are returned. Here is a screenshot of that query:
(1) How can I create a JQL query that will only return issues that block another issue, or (2) is this just a bug in how the "blocks" keyword behaves, at the moment?
Here is a quick video demonstration of the issue, in case anything about this question is unclear: Link to quick YouTube video demonstrating question
I've tried issueLinkType != "is blocked by", but that doesn't return anything.
Thanks, let me know if anything could use clarified.
Sorry to hear about this problem, but I know why this is happening now. The issueLinkType JQL function is able to let users search on the inward description, outward description, AND the name of the link type that encompasses both. In this case, the link type is named 'Blocks' and the outward description is also 'blocks'. Since these two values are the same because JQL is not case sensitive, anytime you search
issueLinkType = blocks
the function is defaulting to the link name instead of the description. Hence in this case, you can't find only the issues with that outward description linktype here.
The workaround for this is to change that description from 'blocks' to something that is unique such as 'blocking' or 'is blocking'. As a Jira admin/site-admin you can do this by going to the issue linking feature in the system admin panel (keyboard shortcut of G+G and search for issue linking or go to /secure/admin/ViewLinkTypes!default.jspa)
This way you can search based on those descriptions. I have also recently create a pair of feature requests that if implemented would avoid this problem in
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about this.
@Andy Heinzer, I suspected that as well, and it may well explain the behavior in Cloud, but I confirm that in our 8.5.0 server installation that issueLinkType = Blocks returns only the issues containing a blocks link (none with a is blocked by link). Our link type is configured as you describe: Name is Blocks; Outward Description is blocks; and Inward Description is is blocked by. I think this is a cloud-only issue.
Sorry to pick up the topic again for current cloud:
One of my clients also has "Roadmap Link" as link name, "implemented in" as outward description and "implemented for" as inward description.
JQL IssueLinkType != "implemented in" still lists the issues that ONLY HAVE "implemented in" as issue link. Same for "implemented for". Only the JQL IssueLinkType != "Roadmap Link" excludes the relevant issues.
So my conclusion currently is, that the JQL expression only delivers proper results, if you use the Issue Link NAME. Which disables to search for issues in certain direction (inward/outward).
Probably I should raise this as bug, but I cannot find the documentation for this JQL expression right now.
@Andy Heinzeret al, this documented solution would be great, but Jira Cloud now recreates the default 'Blocks' issue link type if you rename that default link type to something else to make JQL work correctly. I reported this and it is documented in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20736 but it was closed as Not a Bug.
If you rename 'Blocks' to something like 'block' or 'BlockType', Jira will recreate 'Blocks' with the directional 'blocks' and 'is blocked by', and users end up having to choose between two identically named but different link types when linking issues!
I have not been able to find any workaround for this.
Thanks for flagging this. I have linked that other issue to my previous feature request because they are certainly related now. Sorry to hear about this problem.
However my previous recommendation was not to rename the linktype Name field here, but instead to rename the Outward Description instead. Granted for the Blocks linktype the string of 'blocks' exists in both the Name and Outward description by default. My recommendation here is to change the Outward description to a value such as 'blocking' or 'is blocking'. This in turn does not appear to get renamed or recreated automatically by Jira Cloud, and can still provide you with distinctive terms to search upon within JQL.
Try that instead and let me know if you run into problems with that approach.
I achieved it without changing the description. To achieve the required list of issues that block other issues we have to subtract one filter from another as below.
To get those issues that are blocked by other issues
1 ) Filter1 --> issueLinkType = "is blocked by"
To get those issues that are blocking other issues.
2) Filter2 --> issueLinkType = "blocks" and filter!=Filter1
👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events