Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

JQL for individual time log, not overall task time log

I'm trying to set an automation to warn when a user enters an incorrect time spent by mistake (e.g. 800 weeks). 'timespent' seems to only look at the overall time logged on a task, not each instance of a user logging time. Is there a way to capture this?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill Community Leader Dec 01, 2022

Hello @Marine Redon 

Welcome to the community.

Can you show us the rule you have constructed so far?

If you use the Work Logged trigger then you can use this smart value to get the time logged in that individual worklog:

{{worklog.timeSpent}}

You won't be able to use that in a JQL statement, though. There are no native functions that allow you to search for issues based on the time logged in individual worklog entries.

Hi @Trudy Claspill

Here is my automation so far:

Screenshot 2022-12-02 094503.png

Would changing 'timespent' to '{{worklog.timeSpent}}' allow me to do what I want? 

I'm trying to differentiate it because we might have tasks that go on for weeks, but no user should log more than a few days at a time.

Trudy Claspill Community Leader Dec 02, 2022

As I said, you can't use this smart value in a JQL because JQL doesn't support searching for issues based on times in individual worklogs.

Instead you would have to use an Advanced Compare condition.

Unfortunately the Timespent value is a string, so the comparison is done based on string comparison rather than numeric value comparison. If you're comparing that value to "5w" then an entry of "6d" would be evaluated as greater than "5w"

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.30.37 AM.png

I have not yet found information on specific steps to convert a Timespent value to a numeric value.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events