JQL for all issues linked to all initiatives in a project

- July 9, 2020

Not sure if this is possible, but I was wondering if there's a way you can use JQL to pull all child issues (epics, stories, sub-tasks, bugs, etc) of not just one initiative, but all initiatives of a project.

The reason I need this is because a project manager that I work for wants to use a rich filter dashboard to display all issues associated to an Initiative issue of choice and query down to specifics with the use of rich filter gadgets (see below):

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.47.03 AM.png

In the example above, this rich filter dashboard works off of this query:

issuekey in childIssuesOf(RYOTGL-923)

I don't want to just restrict the dashboard to look at only one initiative (RYOTGL-923), but I want to be able to look into any initiative issue chosen. I need to see if there's a way that I can edit the "Project Selector" controller gadget that would allow the user to select from a list of initiatives from a project, and still maintain the functionality of the "Project Issues" dashboard, which displays the filter results of the query the dashboard works off of.

If there was even a way that the query above could be something like: 

issuekey in childIssuesOf(all Initiative issues in RYOTGL)

, and then use the key dynamic filter for the "Project Selector" gadget to choose from any of the initiatives, then that would completely fulfill my use case.

Any help is much appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 9, 2020

Hi,

Sadly you cannot achieve the desired search using standard features on Jira, you must go for a third-party app instead. Using i.e. JQL Booster Pack if you are on Server / DataCenter, you can type the following:

1) Search all Initiatives in a Project (i.e. MyProject)

project = MyProject AND type = Initiative

* Save the search as a filter, i.e. "My Project Initiatives"

2) Search for direct children of above Initiatives

issue IN portfolioChildOf(' project = MyProject AND type = Initiative ')

(*) Note that this is just an example, you must tune above query to fit your needs.

Using this app you can also query other issues relations, check:

References:

- July 9, 2020

Hi @Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ 

Thank you for the feedback!

My team currently uses Scriptrunner for purposes such as issue behaviours and advanced JQL search. I probably should have mentioned that earlier.

But I have been trying to work with some advanced jql querying such as:

issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issuetype = Submission") and issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("project = RYOTGL")

This I thought should've returned an epic from a different project called RYOT, which is the epic of an Initiative in RYOTGL. However, it returned nothing.

Any idea on what I did wrong?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 9, 2020

If you are looking for a child of a initiative why did you add this part?

issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issuetype = Submission")

The filter above is searching childern of issue type Submission creater under RYOTGL project, which is not probably what you are trying to achieve,

Could you try this instead?

issueFunction IN portfolioChildrenOf(' project = RYOTGL AND type = Initiative ')

- July 9, 2020

Ah, my team changed "Initiative" to "Submission" since it's user-friendlier to our customer base.

And I tried that query, unfortunately no results :(.

Marketplace Partner
July 9, 2020

Are there any

project = RYOTGL AND type = Initiative

having portfolio childs?

Note that if you are using standard issue links you must use:

issueFunction IN linkedIssuesOf(' project = RYOTGL AND type = Initiative ' )

Anyway, a picture of the whole hierarchy will help us to provide the correct JQL for you,
Regards

Like - likes this
- July 14, 2020

I was able to use 

issueFunction IN linkedIssuesOf(' project = RYOTGL AND type = Initiative ' )

like you suggested and we were able to use additional JQL in the rich filter gadget to query out child issues specific to an initiative.

Thereby I'll accept this answer.

Thanks for the help :)

-Ian Balas

Suggest an answer