JQL filter does not show all subtasks in team-managed projects

Shilpa Sikotra Taylor August 23, 2022

Hi, Jira community 👋🏼

I am not able to view all subtasks for a team-managed project when my JQL is

issuetype in (Subtask, sub-task)

How can I make sure all the subtasks are visible?

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hello @Shilpa Sikotra Taylor 

Try this

issuetype in (subTaskIssueTypes())

If that doesn't work, please tell us more about the sub-task issues that you are not seeing.

Are you able to view the details of those missing sub-tasks?

Do other team members get the same results (missing issues) with the same filter?

Thank you for your answer, @Trudy Claspill

Correction, I am searching

issuetype = sub-task and Sprint = 81

or

sprint = 81 and issuetype = sub-task

and both show a lower count than I can see on the sprint.

I wonder if the issue is related to my sprint? 🤔

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Is there more than one sprint with the same name in your Jira instance?

Jira does not require sprint names to be unique. Are you sure that the sprint with ID=81 is the sprint that you are viewing when you say "than I can see on the sprint"? Where are you viewing that sprint?

If you are viewing your sprint in a Board (in the columns view) are you sure you are viewing only one Sprint and not multiple sprints?

Are you sure that all the items you see when you are viewing the sprint a of the issueType "sub-task"?

Thought I'd answer your questions in bullet points:

• The sprint name is unique.
  • In the board view, I can see more tickets than when I filter for them. I am able to see some of the sub-tasks from the current sprint board in the filter, but not all.
  • Yes that's right, I am on a team-managed project with only one sprint shown on the scrum board.
  • Yup, I double checked that there are some "sub-tasks" on the current sprint board which are not visible via the filter.
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

Hello @Shilpa Sikotra Taylor 

Hm, this is very interesting.

In my environment I have a Team Managed project with a scrum board where I have issues that have subtasks.

In the Advanced Issue Search when I try to run a filter for just

sprint=<sprintID>

...the results I get don't include any of the sub-tasks that are attached to issues in the sprint.

If I execute a search for

issueType=Subtask

...then I get the sub-tasks and I can see the sprint in the Sprint field in the details of the sub-task.

I found that Atlassian has a bug about searches by Sprint for Team Managed project not returning sub-tasks that inherit the sprint value from their parent issues.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18398

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18394

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

It's not strictly a "bug" - sub-tasks are not sprint items and they don't have a sprint field by design.  It's actually working as intended!

However, it's not intuitive, it's not helpful and it's not good for us humans.

If you ever run into a server install I used to be an admin of, you're likely to find a handful of scripted fields that echo sprint, parent, and epic through the hierarchy.  (So that you can use things like "Epic-all = <epic's id>" and get the Epic, Issues and Sub-tasks in one go)

Like John Funk likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

What I find confusing is that when I execute a search, display the results as a list, and add the Sprint field to the columns, then it shows the sprint value for the Sub-tasks.

Additionally if I execute a search for sub-tasks in a Company Managed project and add criteria for the Sprint, then it does return the sub-tasks.

So the searching for sub-tasks "in" a sprint works for Company Managed projects but not for Team Managed projects.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

Yep, that's a weird quirk of the way it's been implemented (and it's a recent implementation on Cloud).  In some places, the sprint field comes out on sub-tasks - there's a line of code that's doing something like issue.getParentObject().getSprint(), but it's not universal, and it's not in JQL!

Shilpa Sikotra Taylor August 24, 2022

Oh, dear! Not the answers I was hoping for. Do you have any suggestions for work arounds @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- and @Trudy Claspill ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

See the discussion above!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

Hi Shilpa,

Do the sub-tasks use a different workflow? Or the same as the parent? 

That's right @John Funk, the sub-tasks use the same workflow as the parent.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events