JQL: WAS and WAS IN operators not working

Phil May 26, 2020

I've run into a puzzling issue with JQL.

This query returns 205 results:

project = "<PROJECT NAME>" AND status = "To Do"

I expect the following query to also give me some results, at least 205 of them:

project = "<PROJECT NAME>" AND status WAS "To Do"

However no issues are returned (same project).

According to this documentation, I had expected this to work:

Find issues that currently have or previously had a status of 'In Progress':

status WAS "In Progress"

Any suggestions welcome!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2020

That is odd for sure. It works for me. Can you try different statuses and/or projects?

Phil May 26, 2020

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for the suggestion to try other projects, as a result I think I've narrowed it down to an issue with next-gen projects (yes, another one!)

This works correctly on every "classic" JIRA project I've tested with. (3 different projects)

This fails as described above on every "next-gen" JIRA project I've tested with. (3 different projects).

Does anyone have access to a next-gen project to confirm my theory?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2020

yep....and here is the bug to vote/watch...

JRACLOUD-72180 

and given it is NG and severity is major I expect we will see a fix sometime in 2020.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Nice one, Jack!  

I searched for one earlier and couldn't find it. 

Like Phil likes this
Phil May 26, 2020

Thanks both for your help today.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Hey Phil - have any moved past the In Progress status?

it works for me, too.

Maybe try was in (To Do) just to see?

Phil May 26, 2020

Hi John, 

Thanks for your answer.

To be clear, I have not used status was 'In Progress', that's just the example the docs use.

There are still issues with status of To Do, however if I've understood the docs correctly I don't think that should matter:

The "WAS" operator is used to find issues that currently have or previously had the specified value for the specified field.

Phil May 26, 2020

The WAS IN operator appears to be equally broken for next-gen projects.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Hey Phil - I have confirmed that I get the same error with my Next-gen project examples. I will enter a Support Ticket with Atlassian and update back here. 

Like Phil likes this
Phil May 26, 2020

Thanks for confirming John.

I'm really wishing I'd stuck with classic, next-gen has (so far) been way more trouble than it's worth.

Please let me know when the ticket is raised - I'd like to add my vote and watch.

Renato Hawx November 13, 2020

Hi Guys, any update? about this problem?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72180

Looks like they are still gathering the impact. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events