JQL Query to count the number of issues linked to a story or epic

Vignesh July 13, 2022

Hi All,

I have to generate the total number of linked issue count for the issues. Can i get any JQL Queries or any free jira plugins to find this for the jira server?

Ex: I am having  an issue key like  (XXX-7) for this issue i have 3 linked issue(XXX-2,XXX-3,XXX-4). So i want to display the total linked count as 3.

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2022

Hi Vignesh,

Where are you trying to display this count? And what purpose will you use it for?

Vignesh July 14, 2022

@John Funk If its displayed in the view screen it's fine for me. I have to check and count the linked issues manually  every time. If its a field it should be better for me. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

I am thinking you could create the query and then display that in a gadget in a dashboard. You would need a filter per master issue though. 

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2022

Hi @Vignesh 

Welcome to the community !!

For a readymade solution you can try out

Agile Tools : Epic Tree, Links Tree, Time in Status & Worklogs

The app will show child issue count at each hierarchy level.

Epic Hierarchy - CHildren.PNG

Vignesh July 13, 2022

Thankyou for your response rahul, but its a paid plugin. We can't afford.

Vignesh July 13, 2022

If there any other ways to do it please suggest.

Rich October 21, 2022

@Vignesh you can use this jql --> parent=<epic key> OR "Epic Link"=<epic key> OR "Parent Link"=<epic key> ORDER BY rank

Then use the dashboard gadget "Filter Counts" to show Total.

Melissa C January 17, 2024

@Rich 

"Filter Counts" Gadget is that a Jira Gadget for paid gadget?

I was not able to find it

Rich January 19, 2024

Hi @Melissa C I didn't realize that filter is only available if you have JSM (Jira Service Management).

Suggest an answer