JQL: Pull in issues dynamically

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

I need some help refining the JQL I have which pulls certain issues into advanced roadmaps. 

[Datamart v4] Issue navigator - JIRA 2022-05-16 10-14-16(1).png

1. pull in all epics that have a specific parent initiative (this works ok)

2. (the problematic part). I need to pull in all issues that have specific parent epics. 

The problem with item #2 is that as new epics are being added, the issues contained within the newly  epics are not showing because this part of the query is not dynamic. 

Is there a better way I can structure the JQL that can dynamically pull in issues that are in newly added epics that are not hard coded in the jql.

Some other ways I can do this would be pulling in all issues that have a specific component, but I'd rather not rely on manually adding the component in order for it to appear in the jql results. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Jeffrey Bistrong 

I do not believe that is possible with out-of-the-box JQL features, as you would need the ability to nest queries to find any new epics: "Epic Link" IN (some other JQL result set)

You note one possible work-around, which is to mark all relevant issues somehow (e.g. label, component, custom field, etc.)

Another is to purchase a marketplace addons which enhances JQL features to support such nested queries.

Kind regards,
Bill

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2022

thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events