JQL Not returning expected results

John Viall May 2, 2018

I'm trying to find all the stories that are not currently "Done" and aren't in a current Sprint.

type =story AND Status != Done AND Project = XYZ AND Sprint not in openSprints()

This particular query, returns less items than expected. 41 to be exact.

However, if I look at the backlog in the project XYZ, and use a Quick Filter of type = Story, I come up with a number of 98.

To complicate things, I have two concurrent Sprints running within the same project, so trying variations of using the Sprint numbers, doesn't work either,

type =story AND Status != Done AND Project = Portal AND (Sprint != 63 OR Sprint !=64)

Returns 56 Records, including ones that are actually part of the Sprints 63 and 64.

I can't use Sprint is Empty, because some of these stories were part of a Sprint before, then pulled out. I have been hesitant to clear the old Sprints. I can do that, and it might make this easier, but afraid it will screw up the reporting on those older sprints??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2018

This sounds illogical, but it's there for a good reason.  Empty is not the same as not having a specific value.  It's a long explanation that I really want to do a proper write-up on, but the short story should get you going.

Try changing the last clause from

And Sprint not in openSprints()

to

And (Sprint not in openSprints() or Sprint is empty)

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2018

^ Nic posted the right answer.

As an aside, even though there's reasoning for it, Atlassian really should just include empty as part of the set returned from the != equality operators.  Checking for only empty should be moved to a different operator or function like isEmpty(Sprint) given the usage patterns between the two.

John Viall May 3, 2018

Nic's Answer worked, but not intuitive, since some of the records contain data within the Sprint field, like 62. But since this works, I'm happy. Thanks everyone for the help.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2018

@John Vialldo you mind marking "accept" on nic's answer? :)

John Viall May 3, 2018

Saw the checkmark, and thought it had already been marked. Done, and thanks again.

0 votes
KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2018

Hi John,

Does the following JQL match your criteria?

type =story AND Status != Done AND Project = Portal AND (Sprint not in (63, 64) or Sprint is empty)

Regards,
Kelly

Suggest an answer