JQL Help - List of Epics, that have issues in a specific fixVersion

Nicola J June 9, 2022

I have a need to extract a list of epics all of whom have at least 1 issue as part of the epic where the fix version is a specific version 

We have Scriptrunner and so far I've got:

issueFunction in epicsOf("fixVersion in ('version') 

BUT that returns 11 epics and I know there are at least 33 as when I do a search on issues with that fixversion and count the number of epics shown in the filter result, that's what I get

Any idea why this is happening

3 answers

0 votes
Andrea Pannitti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2022

Hi @Nicola J,

maybe this could solve your issue:

fixVersion in ('version') AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("issuetype = Epic")

Or this:

fixVersion in ('version') AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfRecursive("issuetype = Epic")

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2022

Hi @Nicola J

As you're on Jira Server, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

With this query, you’ll be able to find all the linked issues that are in high priority with the other issue with a different priority:

issue in epicOf("fixVersion = version")

Check out the documentation for more examples.
I hope this helps!
Maurício

Nicola J June 23, 2022

Thanks but we already have an addon that should do that for us as stated in the initial question. 

We have Scriptrunner which supports that JQL extension, it is selectable in JQL as we have the 'suggestion' function on & should work. The guidance on that add-on suggests that's the case but it's just not working for some very odd reason.

0 votes
Andrea Pannitti
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2022

Hi @Nicola J,

you could check this:

issuetype = Epic AND fixVersion in ('version') AND not issueFunction in epicsOf("fixVersion in ('version')")

How many issues are extracts?

Then, how many issues are returned from the following jQL:

issuetype = Epic AND fixVersion in ('version')

?

Nicola J June 9, 2022

The epic doesn't have the fix version on it - just some issues in the epic so that doesn't return anything. 

I need to be able to pull through a list of epics where issues that make them up have a set fix version. I know you can pull through a list of epics where issues are unresolved (using epicsof) but it seems to fail for my scenario

Andrea Pannitti
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2022

Please, could you show an image of an issue that was not found?

Nicola J June 13, 2022

The content of the issues means I can't but I'm not sure what it might show that I've not already stated if I'm honest. 

The comonalities are: 

1. They have no fix version
  2. At least 1 issue that is part of the epic (not linked) has the fix version I'm interested listed amongst it's versions. 

They are across about 10 different projects and have nothing else in common :( 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events