JQL Compare issue count

Vishal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2022

Hi Guys,

I have a special situation where I am creating sub-tasks at each step of the worflow for a custom issue type. The creation of the sub-tasks using automation for jira is not a big deal. However, I need to transition the parent issue to next step of workflow for this I need compare how many sub-tasks are closed & based on that move the parent tickets.

Is there a way to use a jql to find out how many subtasks are done & base on that transition the parent issue ?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Hi @Vishal 

Can you please share your rule so we can have added context?  I see you're on Jira server which will make this a little complex, but may still be doable with a broader picture of what you're trying to accomplish.

Vishal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2022

Hi @Mark Segall

So, here is the rule that I am currently using, this works perfectly but the problem with this is it jumps multiple status at once, so the best solution that I can think of is if I manage to count how many sub-tasks are completed & based on that transition the parent ticket. Provided if we can could the subtatsks completed.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

I think I understand.  You should be able to be more explicit on your issue trigger so that the rule only fires when the sub-task transitions to a specific status.  That way it won't care if it transitions a bunch prior to the transition you're looking for.

Suggest an answer