JPD - create a role that can view the board of ideas but not create ideas or comment

Kieran Curtain May 16, 2023

We want to use the following roles in our JPD project:

1. Contributor (can create an idea and edit their own idea, view other ideas, vote, comment, etc)
  2. Creator (Jira default)
  3. Administrator (Jira default)
  4. Viewer (can view ideas but cannot create, vote, comment)

I created the Viewer role and edited the permissions in Project Settings/Access to be what I thought they should be.

I changed the access of one Creator to be a Viewer.

The user was able to access the project board and still had the permissions of a Creator. However, they disappeared from the list of users in the Access screen.

What fixes do I need to do to make this work as desired?

1 answer

0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2023

Hi @Kieran Curtain,

There are two main components to Jira permissions:

• Project Roles - the People tab in your Project settings is where you assign people or groups to various roles in the project
  • Permission Schemes - the Permissions tab in your Project settings is where roles are associated with permissions - there are 2 caveats:
    • Permission Schemes may apply to more than one project - so you have be conscious of that and either create a new permission scheme for your specific project, or be prepared to roll out permission scheme changes across several projects - this can have unintended side effects depending on how roles are assigned on the other projects. You can always update roles and roll a new permission scheme across to other projects one at a time later.
    • Permission Schemes associate:
      • Roles
      • Jira Groups
      • Users

with permissions, so someone in a specific role that doesn't have a permission may still gain that permission because they're in a group which has the permission, or the permission is granted to the individual user

Having said all that, the way I would proceed is:

• (Create the roles if they don't already exist at https://<your-org>.atlassian.net/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa)
  • Create a new permission scheme
  • Assign the permissions to each role
    • make sure that your Jira Admins still have admin permissions
    • be wary of giving permissions to large groups like jira-users etc.
  • When this is done, switch the project to the new permission scheme 

HTH, 

Kel

Kieran Curtain May 18, 2023

Thanks Kel.

Do you know which permissions settings will allow the user to view but not create, edit, vote, etc?

"View only" (or the equivalent) doesn't seem to be a discreet permission. I tried unticking everything, which I thought might have the effect of enabling only the ability to view, but that didn't seem to have the desired effect. Unless my other settings around roles, as you have addressed above, could be causing a conflict?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2023

Hi Kieran, try giving "Browse projects" permission to your Viewer role.

Like Kieran Curtain likes this
Kieran Curtain May 18, 2023

Thanks Kel

I'll give that a try.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events