JIRA xml exports and SSO Configuration

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

1) When I export a JIRA xml - does that include SAML SSO Plugin configurations too ?

2) So if it does , does that mean if I import it to some other JIRA exvironment - it will replace the SSO configuration of the destination JIRA configuration ?

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2020

Hi Vickey,

I understand you have some concerns about what data is backed up by a Jira XML backup, and how that could be restored to a new environment.

The Jira XML backup file contains all the data currently in the Jira database.  This does include plugin data stored in the AO tables (active objects tables). 

As for whether or not restoring that XML backup to a new Jira system will overwrite configuration, well that is possible, but the answer is more complicated than just yes.  For example, if you were using the XML backup just to do a project restore, that process is not ever expected to restore system settings, just Jira issue data.  

However doing a full XML restore (i.e. not project import), will restore that data to the destination database Jira is connected to.  But if the destination Jira installation doesn't have that same SAML plugin installed to it, then Jira won't actually behave with those settings yet.

Could you also clarify exactly which SSO/SAML plugin you are using here for Jira Server?  I have found so far 3 marketplace plugins, all with very similar names here:

I would expect that each of these are actually storing their own SSO configuration in the Jira database, but mostly likely each is using different database tables to contain their own configurations.  Hence if Jira doesn't have that plugin when you do the restore, I would not expect Jira to honor or understand the plugins' configuration.

Does that help?

Please let me know.

Andy

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2020

That was a wonderful answer :-).

Well, I am using the first plugin from the list that you have enlisted.

ok - so I am to understand that the moment I install the SSO plugin in the destination JIRA, the SSO configs that were imported in the XML import will take effect.

My only intent here is to avoid the destination JIRA from using the SSO configs and infrastructure of the source JIRA after imports .

I am sure - there are no ways we could customize/filter xml exports :-) 

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2020

Thank you for the information.

Considering that no SSO plugin is installed in destination JIRA - SSO configurations I am sure will remain inactive and unused . But I guess the moment I install and enable the SSO plugin ( I am using the first one from your list of plugins) , those imported configs will take effect ?

My main intent here is to not let the destination JIRA use the SSO configurations from the source JIRA.

Is there no way we can filter xml export contents - there isn't I guess atleast for now.

Suggest an answer