JIRA connect app vs OAuth2.0

vineet.kumar June 24, 2021

I have a project where I have to create JIRA issues programmatically but I am bit confused which way I should go.

Our application does some work and responsible to create JIRA tickets based on certain criteria  so we will have to store the keys of customers in case of OAuth2.0 and for JIRA connect this does not sound related to market place as we are not offering anything here.

Please let me know what is the best way to achieve this ??

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2021

Either method can be used to make REST API calls to Jira Cloud, and both can be used to create issues on behalf of specific users (impersonation). The key difference here is how you are planning to build the app itself.  If you are planning to use the Connect framework, then you will end up using a JWT token as explained in Security for Connect apps.

However if you're not building a Connect app, or using the Forge framework, then you could be creating your app in some other framework and in turn you would then be expected to be using OAuth 2.0.  If that is the case, then check out OAuth 2.0 (3LO) apps as it explains in more detail how your application is expected to manage the OAuth handshake.

vineet.kumar July 8, 2021

I created the OAuth 2.0 (3LO) apps but found that, currently it is not supported to make it public and thus, I would say it is not useful in my case. Because I am building this for our customers where they can create issue into their jira board from our platform. 

Also I noticed this doesn't work in case of on premise so do you have any recommendation to solve this use case for both on premise and cloud ??

Reply would be appreciated. 

Suggest an answer