JIRA Startup Failed

Dr. Csaba Huszty July 27, 2017

Hi all! I tried everything, but i can not start Jira. It works till yesterday, but after a restart it wont work.

I tried these:

Delete JIRA_HOME/caches/indexes

Delete JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi*

Delete JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundle*

Delete the contents of the JIRA Installation Directory\work

Tried -Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=600 and 300

Cleared temp directory

I think the problem is here, but not sure:

2017-07-27 16:14:18,362 Spring DM Context Creation Timer WARN      [o.e.g.b.e.i.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Timeout occurred before finding service dependencies for [NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.atlassian.administration.atlassian-admin-quicksearch-jira, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml)]
2017-07-27 16:14:18,366 Spring DM Context Creation Timer ERROR      [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Plugin 'com.atlassian.administration.atlassian-admin-quicksearch-jira' never resolved service '&sal-request-factory-import' with filter '(objectClass=com.atlassian.sal.api.net.RequestFactory)'
2017-07-27 16:14:18,367 Spring DM Context Creation Timer ERROR      [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Unable to start the plugin container for plugin 'com.atlassian.administration.atlassian-admin-quicksearch-jira'
org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.administration.atlassian-admin-quicksearch-jira' has timed out waiting for (objectClass=com.atlassian.sal.api.net.RequestFactory)
        at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.timeout(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:489)
        at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.access$000(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:54)
        at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor$WatchDogTask.run(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:109)
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)
        at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)
2017-07-27 16:14:18,369 Spring DM Context Creation Timer ERROR      [o.e.g.b.e.internal.support.ExtenderConfiguration] Application context refresh failed (NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.atlassian.administration.atlassian-admin-quicksearch-jira, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml))
org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.administration.atlassian-admin-quicksearch-jira' has timed out waiting for (objectClass=com.atlassian.sal.api.net.RequestFactory)
        at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.timeout(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:489)
        at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.access$000(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:54)
        at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor$WatchDogTask.run(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:109)
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)
        at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

I can see in the logs that you are having a system plugin fail to start up, but it is not clear why that is failing at this time.   I would recommend following the steps in Troubleshooting JIRA startup failed error. This is a comprehensive KB that covers all of the known issues that can cause a startup failure like this. 

I can see you have already followed a number of these steps, so I would suggest looking into the KB of JIRA does not start due to disabled plugin in database.  It's possible that a system plugin fails to start after a enough times, JIRA can flag that plugin as being disabled.  I would be interested to see if any of these system plugins are flagged as disabled there.

If those two KBs do not help, I'd like to know more about the system running JIRA:

• System specifications (CPU speed, number of cpu cores, total system memory)
  • How much memory is allocated to JIRA (Xmx value in JVM startup parameters, the logs in JIRA will show this during startup)?
  • What version of JIRA is this?
  • Was anything else changed before this restart?  Such as a plugin update or version update for JIRA, etc?

Suggest an answer