JIRA Software (Cloud) is difficult to use - it is extremely slow.

ian_finlay June 4, 2020

Working with a team in India, they have remarked that JIRA Software (Cloud) is difficult to use as it is extremely slow. I am having response issues here in the Metro NY area, so I can only imagine how difficult it is for them.

Do I have any options? 

Thank you 

Regards

1 answer

0 votes
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2020

Hello @ian_finlay I manage lots of cloud environments and performance degradation isn't an issue in any of them. Nevertheless, sometimes certain apps can perform worse than others and affect the overall user experience. Also it would be expected that Jira behaves slow on an agile board with 500 issues in it. Is the poor performance happening everywhere or when using certain features of the tool? If it's everywhere then open a case with Atlassian to see what they see on their end, if it's only in certain pages then it might be a functionality that is causing this experience

ian_finlay June 4, 2020

Hi Hernan - thank you for your response. I may not be describing our set up well, I'm new to JIRA and to Agile as well. In our main project we have a total of approx 1,500 (500 Closed) issues spread across maybe 10 sprints.

The active sprint has approximately 200 items. I spend most of my time in the issue view updating bugs and writing User Stories / Test cases.

Fully loading a bug by clicking on the link in a filter can take 2-5 seconds, this does not sound like a lot but I might process 60 issues in a day and it slows me down. My Indian colleagues have even slower times (I will get some accurate numbers from them). 

Is this performance typical, will I just have to live with it?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards

Ian

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2020

No but it could be due to the amount of tickets in the active Sprint. I suggest you split the board into a few more board. Maybe a few kanban boards that all show the active Sprint but add an extra criteria (one board per priority for example). Doing this you will reduce the amount of cards in the board and I would expect that improves the behavior.

ian_finlay June 6, 2020

Ok, thank you. I will suggest to the person in charge of our system design. I have to confess that it seems odd to me that spreading the issues over multiple boards would help the performance in the issue view. Is there a document you can point to that would help me understand?

I appreciate your help

Thank you

Ian

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2020

Unfortunately I have no documentation for you this time. It's based on my experience. As mentioned in first comment. Several issues in an agile board impact on the performance when you are using it. I knew it from managing other environments, sometime in the past something similar happened to a customer that had tons of issues all within the same board

Like ian_finlay likes this
ian_finlay June 6, 2020

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Best regards

ian

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2020

No problem, let me know how it goes after the suggested changes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events