JIRA: Restricting the original estimate field once it is set by a certain project role

Deleted user May 11, 2017

Is it possible to restrict users so they are not able to edit the original estimate. Instead they can edit the remaining estimate and log time against an issue?

Thanks,

Danny

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2017

No, JIRA does not have "field level security" that would allow you to prevent specific fields from changing. 

Deleted user May 12, 2017

Hi Nic,

That is a shame. Would have been good to have the original estimate uneditable once a sprint had started and the remaining estimate was the only field editable during that time. 

I will look for an existing feature request ticket, if there is not one I will create one. 

Thanks,

Danny

Dmitrii November 1, 2017

Hallo,

did you find any resolutions of this issue? Some add-ons?

Thanks,

Dm

Deleted user November 1, 2017

Hi Dmitrii,

Unfortunately not. I have not been able to find a plugin that offers this functionality either. 

0 votes
AKBAR July 15, 2021

Hey Guys,

@Anthony Martin @Quentin Schneider @Sascha Klement @MobileJira 

This is very simple.

In every project, we have the Screen Scheme, where there are 3 operations named like 'Create Operation, Edit, and View' where we have to select the default screen for each operation.

If we remove the Time Tracking field from the Edit Operations Screen, there ends the matter, No one can edit the field. Still, they can log efforts if we do such!

Pardon me If my solution doesn't work for you.

It worked for me, and I'm daily using this scenario.

Thanks..

Quentin Schneider July 15, 2021

Thank you Akba,

Does this scenario allows you to set the estimate field after issue creation ?

AKBAR July 15, 2021

@Quentin Schneider 

I could explain you better via a meet If it is okay for you!

You can reach me out at my Whatsapp Number +919493710073

Pls...

Anthony Martin July 18, 2021

Hi @AKBAR ,

Very much appreciate your reply on this.  If I'm understanding correctly, this solution would result in "hiding" the Original Estimate field, as in - it would no longer be visible directly as a field.

We need the field to be visible, just not editable, as would be sensible for an "original estimate".  

Is that correct or am I missing something?

Like AKBAR likes this
AKBAR July 18, 2021

@Anthony Martin 

Yes, Anthony, we can see that field on the screen but cannot edit that values.

Thanks for your response.!! :)

0 votes
Anthony Martin June 21, 2021

Kindof pointless to have an "original estimate" field if it can be edited....  This really needs to be a thing.

0 votes
Sascha Klement January 27, 2021

This would be a good thing for reporting and planning. Still nothing in sight?

0 votes
Quentin Schneider November 18, 2020

Novembre 2020, still waiting :(

sanooj kumar October 20, 2021

A work around would be to add a custom field and populate it with the original estimate when it is entered for the first time. The custom field can be a non editable field which can be populated thru automation. This will help you capture if the estimation was modified or not and still have the original estimate recorded.   

Abdul Majeed Syed May 9, 2022

Hi Sanooj Kumar,

Can you help me with details how to achieve your solution. I mean the step by step process to create custom field to populate the value of Original Estimate - First entry.

I can be reached at my Whatsapp Number +919849620109

0 votes
Deleted user February 11, 2020

Has anyone found a solution for this?

0 votes
MobileJira May 10, 2019

Is it possible to restrict users so they are not able to edit the original estimate?

Deleted user May 10, 2019

Unfortunately I still not been able to find a solution for cloud. Server instances could use Time Tracking's Legacy Mode, Lucas Lima of Atlassian provided the server solution to a similar question. 

MobileJira May 10, 2019

right ok thank you and i have to clear more doubts about i will ask you soon. 

lakkumanan September 19, 2019

Try to use scrip runner - behaviour plug-in

Deleted user September 20, 2019

have any sample idea

0 votes
Arif September 5, 2018

I'm also struggling with the sprints due to same issue, Team members editing the original time estimated while sprint planning easily.. & I'm loosing the track of Original Estimated Hrs. ! this very basic things to have ! ! :(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events